Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I would NOT recommend a NavMan iCN 530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I would NOT recommend a NavMan iCN 530

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlanktonBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: I would NOT recommend a NavMan iCN 530 Reply with quote

The Stylus broke after a day and the battery dies quickly and doesn't wake up unless you give it near full charge, even when plugged into car power. Which is nice when you are in the middle of nowhere needing directions.

I still haven't had a reply to an email sent 6 weeks ago and it takes a while to wait on the phone to get support.

As I waited so long for a customer service response it means I'm out of 28 days and they won't give me my money back. I'm having to send it back for repair but do not trust them to send it back any time soon.

All in all I would definitely NOT recommend NavMan and won't be buying again.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I would NOT recommend a NavMan iCN 530 Reply with quote

PlanktonBoy wrote:
The Stylus broke after a day and the battery dies quickly and doesn't wake up unless you give it near full charge, even when plugged into car power. Which is nice when you are in the middle of nowhere needing directions.

I still haven't had a reply to an email sent 6 weeks ago and it takes a while to wait on the phone to get support.

As I waited so long for a customer service response it means I'm out of 28 days and they won't give me my money back. I'm having to send it back for repair but do not trust them to send it back any time soon.

All in all I would definitely NOT recommend NavMan and won't be buying again.

No problems with my stylus, have you made sure that the charging light comes on when plugged in. I find I have to push hard to get the plug into the 12V connection. Only time I found the battery ran down was when I accidently left it switched on. Otherwise it's been quite reasonable on a day out and using it every so often to work out where we are.
I suggest leaving it plugged into you PC overnight to ensure it gets a full charge. Not sure if it's true for these battery's but older ones would never keep a charge unless given a full 'initial' charge.
NAVMAN are slow to reply, but I had a reply within about 3 weeks so your 28 days seems a bit long. Did you ever get confirmation to say NAVMAN had got your support request.
bobren55
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Planktonboy
Sorry to hear you have had problems with the 530.
I bought one 2 weeks ago and yes the battery was flat when I tried to use it for the first time. So it didn't work " Out of the box", but after an overnight charge in the car everything has been fine.
Personally I don't use the stylus, I find my finger works OK even for the small points on the screen. Can't understand how you managed to break the stylus.
Used it to go up to Lincoln over last weekend, not an area I know at all. It took me straight to the Lincolnshire Show ground and I didn't even look at a map.
So far very impressed with my first sat nav purchase. :D
As jonandmark suggests, leave it switched off and plugged in the USB socket on your PC, it will then charge from the PC even when that is turned off. No need to buy a mains charger.

Bob R
zzf00l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must say I havent had any of the problems that you have.... battery life as close to 4 hours as makes little difference and stylus (telescopic) seems sturdy enough!! This is my first Sat Nav so can't compare with others (Son has Tom Tom One) but so far it does everything I think it should... think it's great!!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want you money back assert your rights. If you contacted them before the 28 days, and they didn't get back to you, they cannot refuse to refund you your money. All you need is proof that your complaint was made. Did you recieve and keep a confirmation of your support request to Navman?

Obviously they are going to say no intially - you have the choice to push back or you can be a wet sock. Upto you.

I think the the 530 is a great product. Apart from these two minor complaints and the slow response from Navman, how do you feel about the rest of the 530. Your choice, but be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water.
PlanktonBoy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

I did give it full initial charge and make sure the light is on when in-car, the unit still doesn't wake up unless it has had plenty of charge. I agree on the stylus use normally, but I found a couple of times I had to re-boot the unit when it wouldn't come back on so needed the stylus.

I did finally get a response from technical support, after 4 phone calls they finally emailed the returns slip and have shipped it back. Hopefully the two issues will be fixed. If not I'll pursue getting my money back as I have all records of comms with them.

Robertn - I think generally the unit is OK. I think it is good value at the £240 I paid, with full Euro maps and a decent mount that seems to work every time and along with using a speed camera DB is decent all round for the money. The navigation seems OK, it got confused in Leeds city centre a few weeks back but generally I haven't had any issues. I'm not sure the speaker is loud enough still, it seems to vibrate a little at full volume and with music on I'd like it louder (I guess I could turn the stereo down). I like the size/weight of it. I'm not sure the standby button is the best, as in I'd like to be able to power the unit down to save juice without using the fiddly button at the bottom. When in 3d map I would like to zoom in and keep it at that zoom but it seems to zoom back out after a few sesonds - maybe I'm not using this correctly but if not this is annoying.

After calming down a bit Smile and the annoying technical support/unit issues aside, I think it is a decent nav/speed camera solution for the money but depending on what you pay for it I would be tempted next time to pay a more for a TomTom or similiar.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Navman zoom Reply with quote

Hi PlanktonBoy:

Just for reference you can easilly disable autozoom in the preference menus. The default is on and the map zooms out as speed increases. I too did not like this as I feel it zooms out too far, so I disabled mine.

Terry Walsh
sparxy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am suffering bad battery charging in car.
All lights are on (cigar lighter adaptor and on ICN) but using the unit all day plugged in to the cigar lighter socket still decreases battery capacity slowly.
I never get a Green fully charged LED when in car. Only the USB charging seems to go green.

I've just contacted NAVMAN and am waiting with baited breath.

Otherwise I am happy with the unit. I would like a little more advanced warning of turns though. It seems that you can be on toip of the turn before she says 'turn left/right' or do i drive too fast? I would expect the software to advance instructions relative to speed? Does anyone know if this can be adjusted?
archer50
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an ICN530 and yes it needed a full charge before using. I had a problem where I couldnt register to load the maps on, the tech help have been great and email me back very quick and helped out.

The only problem I have is I cant load the speed camera warning. I have managed to load them using the POI editor and the files appear on the drive (but not in a folder) but the camera icons dont show on the maps and I dont get a warning when I drive towards a gatso.

Apart from that I think the ICN 530 is great.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: