Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSlim236 slow to start.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSlim236 slow to start.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: GPSlim236 slow to start. Reply with quote

Hi,

first post here and it's a question I'm afraid.

I have spent many hours reading through the forum and found out lots concerning about Holux and GPS in general. Many thanks.

My problem is I have just purchased the Holux GPSlim236

(Firmware: GSW3.2.0PAT_3.1.00.12-SDK001P1.00d
Serial: 236-62902198)

and whenever I switch on the receiver, it can take up to four or five minutes to 'lock on'. The orange light will then start flashing, and the unit works as it should.

I have read a similar post to this here, and have followed all relevent answers, but to no avail.

Can somebody confirm I have the latest firmware, and if not, does a later one fix this?

Thanks,

Ron.

By the way, I'm in the UK if this makes a difference to anything...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, Welcome to the forum I have a couple of 236 units and neither device takes more than 30 seconds as a general rule.

A few things to check though first, if you don't use the device for a while its internal data will require downloading from the sats before the device will offer a position fix, used on a regualr basis this is not a problem.

Never drive off before the fix is obtained, if stationary the unit will obtain a position fix far faster.

If the car is in a garage move it outside the 236 is good at maintainig a signal but not when under the cover of a building, the better clear view of the sky the better for acquiring a fix.

If you have an "Athermic" windscreen try putting the GPS in the rear window as the windscreens coating can attenuate the signal, this depends on the make and model of vehicle.

The first time you use the device out of the box a long time to position fix is expected, but after that I would expect 30 seconds with these units bearing in mind the above point - Mike
Ron01
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I have noted everything you have said, and carried out some tests. Sometimes the unit WILL obtain a fix in roughly 30-60 seconds, however, quite often, the unit takes 2-3 minutes, and a couple of times as long as 4-5 minutes.

Can you confirm I have the latest UK firmware in my unit? If so, at least I know it can't be that, and it is something I will have to live with. Like I said, the reciever works fine after the initail fix, it's just that if I have to wait that initial time before starting my journey...

Again, thanks for the help,

R.
fellow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a same 236 with you and the same stituation.

I have found that the fixed time is very different for every receiver. Some is less than a minute, but some others need a few minutes. The vendor said all is ok. Sad

What I suggest is that the receiver must be fixed before it lock the star. Moving with walking along street makes the fix time much longer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: