Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can I recover the SD Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I recover the SD Card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Can I recover the SD Card Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a TomTom ONE, and it's stopped working - it just hung at the startup screen. They were looking to send it back (upon advice) and were asked whether they had any Cameras on it, they answered "Yes", and were asked if they are TomTom cameras, and they said "Yes" (which they weren't, they were old ones from here), and were told that if they weren't TomTom cameras then they had invalidated their warranty (not sure who told them this, but it sounds like rubbish to me, surely?).

Anyway, as their local "technology friendly" friend, I got the job of removing the cameras to be on the safe side, and I found that the SD card looks a bit dodgy - warnings of corruption, and so on. Once I had removed the camera files, and after receiving a few errors in the process, the ONE gets a bit further in it's boot sequence, but gives an error screen with the SD card and a flashing 'X' - obviously, the card looks corrupt/duff.

My question is, is it possible to reformat the SD card, and install the original contents from the CD that comes with the ONE? I've only ever had TomTom on CD, and not supplied on SD, so I don't know whether the CD has the SD contents on it - it would seem rediculous not to, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Are there any instructions to do this, or is it obvious from the wizard on the CD?

Cheers,

Steve.
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No theirs no Back up on the CD Rom suplied with the TomTom One, They insist that you make a Back up yourself.
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where am I meant to get replacement files then?

Cheers,

Steve
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u buy a new map already on an sd card all the files come with it.. not ideal but better than chucking the tomtom..

u should also be able to recover some or most of the files on the card by useing a card reader..

then all u need to find and replace is the corrupt files..

someone might email them to u..

all u really need to get things going is the baby 128 meg basic UK files and then u dont perhaps need the actual map which is bulk of the data..

but the bottom loine is this is what backups are all about..

trog
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u can also reformat the card in windows.. either use the tomtom as a reader or a real card reader..

trog
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers fellas - but that's pants for a plug-in-and-go device for the non-technical. What are TomTom thinking?!?

If I get a list of the duff files, any chance somebody would be good enough to mail them to me? Presumably, I can get the map files off my v5.21, so it's just the files I don't appear to have, or does it not work like that?

Cheers,

Steve.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything except the map, should be downloadable from the TomTom website.
You would be breaking your licence by copying your maps onto his device though, and by activating them, YOU would lose the ability to upgrade them.

If you want the non-technical man's answer, then it is to ring TomTom customer support and tell them what's happened. They will probably charge about £50-60 to replace the card.
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Duff Files Reply with quote

Looks like the following files are duff:

ttsystem
/Great_Britain-Map/cline.dat *
/Great_Britain-Map/cnode.dat *
/ppp/chap-secrets
/ppp/gprs-connect-chat
/ppp/gprs-disconnect-chat
/ppp/ip-down
/ppp/ip-up
/ppp/phone.sh
/ppp/resolv.conf
/ppp/ttgobuddy-ppp-peers
/script/scrroutebar.bmp
/voices/data04.chk *

The one's I've marked with an asterisk are presumably replaceable from my installation files (TT Navigator 5.00).

If somebody could eMail the other files to TomTom[at]The-Pritchards[dot]Net, then I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

Steve.
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very surprisewd if anybody emailed you the files you require.

You may even get a slap from the mods for asking Wink
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installers for various software versions are available from Oldboy's site:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/oldboy/TomTomUpdates/index.html
One of those should give you everything you need to get the device running.
But cnode and cline are the main parts of his MAP, so even if you get the application running, you are still short of a legal map.
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a legitimate request - If I were trying to get a hooky copy up and running then I could see the problem, but the files I've requested aren't much use on their own, plus it's obvious that it's files for the ONE which, to my knowledge, you can't get without a license.

If the muppets at TomTom had thought to put the files on the CD they ACTUALLY INCLUDE with the device in the first place, then there wouldn't be the need to ask.

Cheers,

Steve.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not what u are doing but distributing or making available for download copyrighted files is the dodgy bit.. u are perfectly okay and yes u are correct tomtom should make all these files available one way or another to a legitimate owner.. or should i say license holder..

u might own the hardware but u dont own the software this is the problem..

google my name and email me if u continue to have problems..

trog
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trog100 wrote:
its not what u are doing but distributing or making available for download copyrighted files is the dodgy bit.. u are perfectly okay and yes u are correct tomtom should make all these files available one way or another to a legitimate owner.. or should i say license holder..

Exactly. He has the license to use a particular version of the map files. If the license is valid who care where he gets the files from?
StevePritchard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those who helped. Managed to get it back up and running now - the 5.44 update had the system and ttsystem that got it working, and 2 of my 5.00 map files sorted it - no activation necessary, it still remembers recent destinations etc.

I think I've just managed to replace the files that were duff on the SD card, so it's none the wiser.

Cheers,

Steve.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Exactly. He has the license to use a particular version of the map files. If the license is valid who care where he gets the files from?

VERY confused now!
Are you saying, as a moderator of this site, that it is OK to post links to copies of the map files, and that sharing them in this way will not adversly affect the original owner's registration status?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: