Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTOm Traffic via Three
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTOm Traffic via Three

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: TomTOm Traffic via Three Reply with quote

I have previously asked whether anyone has been able to obtain traffic messages via the THREE network, but no-one apparently has tried to do so, as I've had no replies.

THREE say it is not available via their network, but TOMTOM insist it is and have even tested it. They say I need to have UMTS enabled on my account, and able to download binary code.

Anyone got any idea what this means please?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMTS stands for "Universal Mobile Telecommunications System" From what i've read it's something to do with 3G, And as Three use's 3G I would of thought that they use the UMTS system, You can read more here http://www.umts-forum.org/servlet/dycon/ztumts/umts/Live/en/umts/What+is+UMTS_index
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauneco wrote:
UMTS stands for "Universal Mobile Telecommunications System" From what i've read it's something to do with 3G, And as Three use's 3G I would of thought that they use the UMTS system, You can read more here http://www.umts-forum.org/servlet/dycon/ztumts/umts/Live/en/umts/What+is+UMTS_index

Yes quite strange. Although THREE admit that they use UMTS, apparently their handsets software does not allow anyone to select this feature. They say they use the WCBMA protocol.
Even stranger TomTom insist that they have tested their services on the THREE network, and confirm that it definately works. THREE howver say otherwise.
I wonder if TomTom are confused between Hutchinson THREE which is what I use, and the 3G services operated by other networks.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
sivogt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that in order to get Traffic to work with the Three network you need to subscribe to one of Three's wireless web packages on top of your current package. This allows data access outside of the three 'walled garden' and should allow you to connect with the TomTom traffic server.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sivogt wrote:
I believe that in order to get Traffic to work with the Three network you need to subscribe to one of Three's wireless web packages on top of your current package. This allows data access outside of the three 'walled garden' and should allow you to connect with the TomTom traffic server.

Yes you're probably right. Has anyone done this, and if so what package works?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
sivogt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are only a couple of options - the cheapest from Three being Wireless Web 56 at £15 per month. This gives you 56Mb of data per month which should be more than sufficient for traffic.

Depending on how often you were to use traffic it may be cheaper to get a sim on a data only GPRS contract - O2 currently offer 5Mb for £8 (ex VAT) per month - £1 charge per additional Mb per month, unused data rolls forward. This suggestion would only be useful if you had a spare mobile lying around as the O2 SIM would not work in your Three handset.
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know any more about this because I'm thinking of joining 3. If it doesn't work with Traffic I won't sign up.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sivogt wrote:
I think there are only a couple of options - the cheapest from Three being Wireless Web 56 at £15 per month. This gives you 56Mb of data per month which should be more than sufficient for traffic.

Depending on how often you were to use traffic it may be cheaper to get a sim on a data only GPRS contract - O2 currently offer 5Mb for £8 (ex VAT) per month - £1 charge per additional Mb per month, unused data rolls forward. This suggestion would only be useful if you had a spare mobile lying around as the O2 SIM would not work in your Three handset.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I've got an unlocked handset for which I was going to get a PAYG SIM card, and was just contemplating which network to use.
I have heard that Orange allow GPRS data via a PAYG SIM ans I wonder if anyone who uses this type of connection would share their experiences.

I would welcome recommendations..........

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been using traffic for a year on orange payg - as my main handset wouldn't support a bt gprs connection and a bt headset at the same time.

No issues at all with the service and cheap as well - cost about £20 every 3 months (and I drive 40,000 mile s year and have the update set to 10 minutes).

Now using a siemens EL71 phone which allows the 2 bt connections at the same time so can finally use the free gprs data I have on my contract.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: