Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 using City Select Europe v7 packaged with GPS 18 USB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 using City Select Europe v7 packaged with GPS 18 USB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: i3 using City Select Europe v7 packaged with GPS 18 USB Reply with quote

I have just bought the above package which comes with nroute as it is designed as an auto navigation kit for using with a laptop. I only want to use it with my i3 and if possible with an etrex unit also. At the moment I have installed City Select Europe and it displays in Mapsource but I can't select maps presumably because I haven't entered the unlock code yet. Please has anyone got any experience of using such packages with the i3? I think I can use the unlock code supplied with the GPS 18 and then ask Garmin to make it possible to use the i3 as a second unit with the City Select Mapping, though I have no intention of using the GPS 18. Are unlock codes specific to allow particular units to work with the mapping? I presume the unlock code originally supplied with my i3 is specific to the UK map supplied on the flashcard and won't work again for City Select?

I'm sure I read some relevant posts to this in the past but I can't find them with a search now.

Paul
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Streetpilot i3 and City Select Europe v7 Reply with quote

The 25 digit code was tied to the GPS 18 so I had to use it for that and then ask for another free 25 digit code so I could use the City Select Europe Maps in a second unit ie: my i3. It was a bit nerve racking using the online process to request a second code as there were lots of warnings about "get this right as we don't provide refunds etc". Anyhow, I got the code and have managed to download the maps into the i3 and it all works. A pity that I won't be able to use them in my etrex legend, unless I pay for another code. The code for the GPS 18 is a waste as I can't see me ever using it.

I bought the package from Amazon.co.uk for £135 which seemed a good price, though they contacted me twice to tell me that the order had been delayed, resulting in a total delay of two and a half months since I first ordered it around 9th April. I have also since discovered that Garmin are discontinuing City Select Europe so I guess there won't be any update disks. Not sure then if this has been a good road to go down but it still seems better than buying separate cards for the european countries.

Paul
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: i3 and City Select Europe v7 Reply with quote

Just got back from a European tour of France, Switzerland and Italy. Overall was very impressed with the performance of the unit and City Select mapping. There were some idiosyncracies ie: when we were in the Jura region of France out in the sticks it tried to direct us down roads which just weren't there. Nevertheless overall it was excellent.

Before we had left for the holiday I had found that because Garmin were discontinuing City Select I was eligible for a City Navigator Europe Update DVD v8. This didn't come in time for the holiday but had arrived by the time we got back. I have since installed it. I had to get a code via the Garmin site to unlock the update disk and then had to get a code for the original GPS 18 I had bought which had the map CD packaged with it. I then had to apply for the free second unlock code for my i3.

I know some people have been buying Metroguide Europe and using a workaround to get autorouting. I have no experience of that so I can't compare. I have been happy with going down the GPS 18 with City Select Europe for £135.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that the GPS18 City Select 7 and subsequent City Navigator v8 upgrade are the plain versions rather than NT? I had always assumed that the i3 needed NT mapping to work? If that's not the case then I can use the CN v8 for my Quest 1 in the i3 :D
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: City Select and City Navigator Europe Reply with quote

I must admit I don't fully understand the differences between the different disc versions. The ones I have are the "plain" ones. I didn't think the i3 used the NT versions. I have also bought Metroguide Canada in the "plain" version and that works fine with the i3.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: