Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Maps for Tom Tom one and new SD Card size and speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Maps for Tom Tom one and new SD Card size and speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickdphones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: New Maps for Tom Tom one and new SD Card size and speed Reply with quote

Hello

I've got a Tom Tom one that I've had a while and I've come across some roads that it doesn't know so I've decided to get a new map. I had a look on the Tom Tom web site and decided I'd go for the western europe map. It's about 1 gig so I obviously need a new SD Card the existing card came with the unit and is GB only.

So my questions are:-
I need a 1 gig card but it doesn't leave me much room for voices etc, can a Tom Tom one handle a 2 gig SD card? What speed card do I need to get? 7.5 MB/Sec? Where can I get one? high street store or on line?
Is the Wester Europe map OK? Does it work exactly as my old GB map did, or is there lots of setting up to do?

Mick
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New Maps for Tom Tom one and new SD Card size and speed Reply with quote

Mickdphones wrote:
Hello

I've got a Tom Tom one that I've had a while and I've come across some roads that it doesn't know so I've decided to get a new map. I had a look on the Tom Tom web site and decided I'd go for the western europe map. It's about 1 gig so I obviously need a new SD Card the existing card came with the unit and is GB only.

So my questions are:-
I need a 1 gig card but it doesn't leave me much room for voices etc, can a Tom Tom one handle a 2 gig SD card? What speed card do I need to get? 7.5 MB/Sec? Where can I get one? high street store or on line?
Is the Wester Europe map OK? Does it work exactly as my old GB map did, or is there lots of setting up to do?

Mick
From what I read, a 2gig card should be fine, unless the "while" you've had the device means off the Ark. I and several others here got a "Transcend" 2Gb 150x card very cheap online (about £10 plus outrageous £5 postage from Amazon I think). High street usually a lot dearer. Western Europe map's OK (but if it will work on your device, there is also a Western & Central Europe map 1.7Gb with further east than Germany/Austria for relatively little extra cost - fiver?). Your present map settings config file contains all your settings - display components, favourites etc, so at very least make sure you keep a copy of it to be able to copy across (may have to rename it).

If you are going to download, you MUST have broadband if you want it before Christmas - it will still take over an hour just to download, then quite a while to install, so don't plan anything.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Mickdphones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info I'll check things out. When I said a "while" I got it christmas 2005.

Cheers
Mick
Mickdphones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got myself one of the cards you mentioned and down loaded the Western Europe map and got it working. My old GB map is still on the unit.
The speed cameras don't appear on my europe map but they are still on my GB map. Do I need to copy them into my europe map directory?

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - your POI files and any associated ogg sound files (for spoken alerts) need to be in the current map folder. You will also need to set-up your POI warnings once you have copied the files to the new map folder - Mike
Mickdphones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool that all makes sense. I think I need to find out a little more about ogg files, it's not something I've come across before.

Thamks for your help

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickdphones wrote:
I think I need to find out a little more about ogg files, it's not something I've come across before.
You might not want them, we use them for true spoken alerts so the device announces "Warning Gatso ahead speed limit is 30 miles per hour" or whatever camera type and speed limit is applicable.
Start by having a read of #5 from This Page it will give you the instructions for download/ installation and configuring them, well worth the effort IMHO - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickdphones wrote:
Cool that all makes sense. I think I need to find out a little more about ogg files, it's not something I've come across before.

Thamks for your help

Mick

OGG files work easy peasy - you download a zip file, unzip it and copy to your map folder, just the same as the cameras - you end up with three files per camera .... pocketgps_UK_blahblah.BMP, same.OGG and same.OV2. All you do to get the spoken warning is go through the "Warn when near" process, only it doesn't ask you to choose a sound. The OGG files automatically kick in. Simply make sure you download the same OGG set as cameras - Single file, or Consolidated by type, or Speed Zoned. You'll love them.

Mickdphones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys I think I understand how this works but can I just confirm before I do anything.

If I use a consolidated file I will end up with 15 files 5 bmp, 5 ov2 and 5 ogg. This will give me a "Warnig Gatso" or "Warning Temp" type message.

If I use speed zone file type I'll have about 150 files 30 bmp, 30 ov2 and 30 ogg. This will give me a "Warning Gatso 30 MPH" type message. This must mean I have to set up about 30 poi's and warn when near on my tom tom after the files are in the corret directory.

Is this right or am I way off the mark.

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like you have the right idea, bear in mind you only set the warnings up once - subsequent updates simply replace the ov2 files (the actual camera locations) so you don't have to re-configure the warnings each time you update.
The speed zoned file type is the one I use as it offers the most information, that said it takes the longest amount of time to set-up, at best I can configure it in under 5 mins though, so it doesn't take too long - Mike
Mickdphones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm all done now I'll try it out tomorrow, I had a few beck's while I was working on it so best not go out now Wink

Thanks for all your help :D

Mick
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You sound like you have the right idea, bear in mind you only set the warnings up once - subsequent updates simply replace the ov2 files (the actual camera locations) so you don't have to re-configure the warnings each time you update.
The speed zoned file type is the one I use as it offers the most information, that said it takes the longest amount of time to set-up, at best I can configure it in under 5 mins though, so it doesn't take too long - Mike
Yeah, well he's an expert. Stop it!

By the way, if you prefer not to get out of bed too early, you could test it by doing a demo of a route - make sure you set one with cameras on (Mike has a terrific sample one which goes past zillions of cameras on Blackpool prom in about 250 yards).

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
(Mike has a terrific sample one which goes past zillions of cameras on Blackpool prom in about 250 yards).
You mean - depart from FY43NN (select house no. 95), and destination as PR41AX (house no. 33). Smile

Edited 1 time to include house numbers

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: