Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What happened to the 2006 map update program?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to the 2006 map update program?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrzipy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: What happened to the 2006 map update program? Reply with quote

The TomTom support pages have been updated a couple of times with regard to 2006 map updates, but they have been stuck at the 'beginning of the 3rd Quarter' since well the beginning of the 3rd quarter.

http://tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&FID=3555

It's now the end of the 3rd quarter.
Bolty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to them today and it should happen this month.

Then again, it's been put back before.....
PhilBarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: US Updates? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if they'll have an update for the United States map only, not all of North America? I'm annoyed enough at having to pay to upgrade maps that were 6 months out of date when I bought my unit, so having to pay extra for Canada, plus that I would have to buy a 2 Gb SD card to hold the entire North America, doesn't look that interesting to me.

Having bought lots of computer software over the past 20 years that provided free updates for the first year, paying for map corrections (especially when TomTom wants me to give them feedback to correct the maps) doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks,

Phil
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when you buy a paper road map you expect to get the next updated one free? Smile You do get free upgrades of the software, just not the "database" so to speak that uses that software.

You were lucky that the maps were only 6 months out of date - it can often take the best part of a year to get new info onto the maps.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH a paper map costs about £5, so updating it once a year is really no issue.

TT maps cost a significant proportion of the original cost of the device (in the extreme case of the new ONE it would be about 3/4 of the cost) and it's different asking people to pay that every year.

New roads are planned years in advance.. that's why paper maps have them before they're even built. It's just that teleatlas aren't very good at doing updates - it's no unusual to see roads that are 5 years out of date. Any mapping company that manages to get that right will clean up.
PhilBarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
So when you buy a paper road map you expect to get the next updated one free? Smile

But Peter, it's not a paper map! It's bits of electrons. And when I buy software that includes a year's worth of updates "for free", that's part of what I'm expecting to buy. So it's not really free, just bundled into the original price.

Frankly, when I bought this unit, I didn't expect the maps to be so out of date. For example, my own street's name is wrong, even though it was changed for E911 about 8 years ago. It's also been listed correctly on Google and Yahoo! maps for a few years.

In an even weirder example, I was driving from Laconia, NH to White River Junction, Vermont. Tom told me to drive north 80 miles on US Rt 93 from Laconia. My wife and I both started laughing when we saw the sign saying "Canadian border - 30 miles", as we know you don't need to go to Canada to get to Vermont. The answer? Tom's map actually had me drive until Rt 93 merged with Rt 91 in Vermont, merged me onto Rt 91 and had me driving south, but it thought that it was still named Rt 93. Now these two superhighways have been there for at least 30 years and never been the same highway.

So why should I be happy with a unit that thinks they are? Why shouldn't I expect TomTom to provide corrections to that lunacy for free?
dazlewis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a tt700 with 6.06 maps (bought in May). I have the flyer for a free map update before 30 Sep 2006.

If Tomtom don't update the maps before 30 Sep I imagine I'll be with a lot of people asking for new maps when they do come out, and maybe they will give in and let us have it.

However, if it comes out before 30 Sep, all well and good except that I'm going to be on holiday for the last two weeks and would be unable to update during this time.

I would like to speak to TomTom to ask about this.

Can anyone tell me a UK phone number (I've tried searching the archive but my computer keeps hanging....) for them please?

regards
Darren
bw2020
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this link on Tom Tom's Website for contacting customer support by phone.
joedavid0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT Sept. Newsleter as arrived new SD card with updated maps offered at £103. Covers Western Europe, inc. GB, but southern Ireland left out.

After all this wait for GB maps update I'm shocked at the price.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But isn't that the full purchase price, rather than a yet-to-be-announced upgrade price?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map offered on the newsletter is not a replacement for the 700 map.

It's a smaller "seamless map of western Europe" without Poland and the Czech Republic. It seems to be TT getting rid of old stock of SD cards that would have gone into the 710.

Maybe the map update programme is really about to happen!!

Anyone bought a 710 this week with new maps? What version number?

You can't blame TT for not being consistent - i.e. always late Sad

Who else would delay issuing update maps until the school summer holidays are over? Probably some TT marketing man who has been told that the only time to put new stuff on the market is one month before Christmas!! Twisted Evil
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: