Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 910 - what am I doing wrong?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 910 - what am I doing wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meistre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Go 910 - what am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

Either I am just not compatible with the TomTom interface, or this thing was designed by monkeys (maybe both...?). Here's the deal:

Say I'm trying to plan an itinerary and I want to start at St. Paul, MN and drive to Mt. Rushmore. So I pick the St. Paul airport for the beginning, now I want to add Mt. Rushmore. I can add POIs: near me, in a city, near home, along route, or near destination. So how the *&^% do I search for Mt. Rushmore? I guess I could take out a map and find a city near Rushmore and search near there but what a pain - at least compared to my Garmin which will let me search the entire POI database!

Here's another one. I'm going to a town about 30 miles away that I've never been to before and I need directions to an ATM in that town. When I search for Bank of America in that town I'm shown 3 screens of choice that range in distance from 2.7 mile to 7.9 miles. When I click on any of them, the only choice I get is what type of route I want - no info whatsoever about the POI. I don't know if it's the one I want, I can't get a number to call the bank, and there's no indication of direction! Again, on the Garmin, when I choose a POI, it opens up a window with the full address and phone number.

At the expense of angering TomTom lovers, I can't understand how you put up with this! I think this is the least friendly device I've ever tried to use! Worse, after emailing questions like these to TomTom, 3 times in the past 2 weeks, I get no reply.

Again, what am I doing wrong? A product that sells this well, can't be this bad, it must be me. Help!
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Go 910 - what am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

meistre wrote:
Either I am just not compatible with the TomTom interface, or this thing was designed by monkeys (maybe both...?). Here's the deal:

Say I'm trying to plan an itinerary and I want to start at St. Paul, MN and drive to Mt. Rushmore. So I pick the St. Paul airport for the beginning, now I want to add Mt. Rushmore. I can add POIs: near me, in a city, near home, along route, or near destination. So how the *&^% do I search for Mt. Rushmore? I guess I could take out a map and find a city near Rushmore and search near there but what a pain - at least compared to my Garmin which will let me search the entire POI database!

Here's another one. I'm going to a town about 30 miles away that I've never been to before and I need directions to an ATM in that town. When I search for Bank of America in that town I'm shown 3 screens of choice that range in distance from 2.7 mile to 7.9 miles. When I click on any of them, the only choice I get is what type of route I want - no info whatsoever about the POI. I don't know if it's the one I want, I can't get a number to call the bank, and there's no indication of direction! Again, on the Garmin, when I choose a POI, it opens up a window with the full address and phone number.

At the expense of angering TomTom lovers, I can't understand how you put up with this! I think this is the least friendly device I've ever tried to use! Worse, after emailing questions like these to TomTom, 3 times in the past 2 weeks, I get no reply.

Again, what am I doing wrong? A product that sells this well, can't be this bad, it must be me. Help!

I'm in the UK, so we dont have Mount Rushmore here, but if I was looking for it I'd expect to do navigate to - POI, and then pick a POI category, for example on mine there is a 'park and recreation' and a 'tourist attraction' category. Mine isa 300 but I think the menus are similar.

Also, I wouldnt look for 'banks' I'd look for ATM or 'cash dispenser' (thats what it says on my 300).

Finally, you may find lists of POIs you can download.

Tw
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Go 910 - what am I doing wrong? Reply with quote

meistre wrote:

At the expense of angering TomTom lovers, I can't understand how you put up with this! I think this is the least friendly device I've ever tried to use!

I cannot but agree that TomTom is not very good (to say the least) in providing the information about a POI.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: