Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT GO 300 - Data wipe when card removed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT GO 300 - Data wipe when card removed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: TT GO 300 - Data wipe when card removed Reply with quote

On my friends TTGO 300, all personal data, favourites, recent destinations, etc, disappears when the SD card is removed, leaving just the original TT data. This does not happen on my TTGO 500. What is causing this loss of data?

Brian
morphski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BrianI,

It sounds to me like the write protection tab is enabled on the sd card, try sliding it in the opposite direction and see if it remembers your settings

Morphski
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: TT GO 300 - Data wipe when card removed Reply with quote

BrianI wrote:
On my friends TTGO 300, all personal data, favourites, recent destinations, etc, disappears when the SD card is removed, leaving just the original TT data. This does not happen on my TTGO 500. What is causing this loss of data?

Brian

Do you mean that if you take the card out the TT continues to work? Dont see how that can be.

Tw
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, taking the card out and putting it back again wipes all the personal data, poi's, favourites etc. The original TT programme data remains OK.

Brian
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianI wrote:
No, taking the card out and putting it back again wipes all the personal data, poi's, favourites etc. The original TT programme data remains OK.

Brian

I think morphski probably has it right. Just tried with my TT and it will boot with the write protect tab in, so at a guess the data probably just stays in the TT's memory and never gets onto the card. It thinks its written it to disk but it hasnt. Hmmm, that was the theory, BUT .... I just tried it on my TT300 and it did remember the destination I entered with the write protect tab on, after removing and then reinserting the card, eg it was ignoring the write protect tab (its not a physical protection, programs can choose to ignore it).

So a possibly more likely alternative is, that its a duff memory card which cant be written to. Better make sure you back it up.

Tw
BrianI
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The write protection tab is in the "not locked" position on both the 300 and 500 TT's. So it seems like a faulty card? On the 300 it has the original TT card, which is the one giving the problem. The 500 has a Kingston card and it and the original TT500 card both seem to retain data.

Brian
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianI wrote:
The write protection tab is in the "not locked" position on both the 300 and 500 TT's. So it seems like a faulty card? On the 300 it has the original TT card, which is the one giving the problem. The 500 has a Kingston card and it and the original TT500 card both seem to retain data.

Brian

I suppose there is another possibility, which is that the 300 unit itself is faulty. That could be software or hardware.

you could try;

1)a reset (button underneath). If its software acting up that would almost certainly fix it. THis is the most likely problem, lets hope so.

2)if that doesnt fix it see if you can write to the card in a card reader, if you have one.(or a camera if you have one that accepts sd cards). BACK THE CARD UP FIRST, THE WHOLE CARD. dont use tomtom home or the backup off the CD, just drag _all_ the files on the card into a folder on the PC.

if you try writing to it via a camera (just take a picture) shouldnt be any need to format the card first you'llll likely just find a few additional files on the card ...assuming it can be written to

try another card after copying the backup to that card.

if a reset and or or a new card doesn't work, its the unit. If you can write to the card from a PC or a camera, its the 300. If a new card works in the 300, its obviously the original card.

let us know what the outcome is.

Tw

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: