Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - i3 from Maplin
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

i3 from Maplin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: i3 from Maplin Reply with quote

Hi all,
First post, received the i3 today from Maplin.

Has anyone else purchased from Maplin in this batch of 500 they've just had in? I was expecting a 256Mb card, I'm sure it said on the site that the package included it, and there was a post on here saying there was. The product info has gone from their site now as it's obviously sold out.

Cheers for any help

Ian
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have one of the newer units with inbuilt maps. If so, you would need to get a separate card to be able to load POI's/safety cams.

The card comes already installed in the unit if it has one, not separate in the box. The slot is just below the USB connection point on the right hand side of the unit. Push the card in and it should pop out, sorry if you know this.
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I understand from reading here that there are 2 types of the i3, one with and one without a card.

My point is that Maplin's site said that a card was supplied (See Below), and that was the reason I bought from there and not from Comet for £99.

I've emailed Maplin and and awaiting a reply.

Ian
Matt-i3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, Given them a ring after i saw this thread.
Was told that the New Garmin i3s no longer needed a External memory card as the New Garmin i3 has a internal memory. If they did Supply me with a 256 Memory card it would only contain the same the Data that the Internal Memory has stored.

The Garmin with Card or Without both do exactly the same Job. I suppose you could argue that they did say it had a card with it. But Maplin are very fair with my dealings with them in the past. And the Unit still does exactly what is says on the tin... So was not going to push it any more.

:D
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I take the point that it works as well as a unit with a card. I thought it would be a blank transflash card for loading the speed cameras onto, cos as supplied (with the CD) I didn't think you can load the Speed Camera DB as there was insufficient room on the infernal memory? The apparent inclusion of the Memory card explained the price difference between them and Comet.

Thats what's annoyed me. It said there would be a memory card, there should be a memory card.

Ian
Matt-i3
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see ya Point. Ive loaded the POIs that came supplied on the disc, but only says 965 POIs installed?? Must be more Cameras that that??

got to get out and try it yet
David_A_James
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt-i3 wrote:
The Garmin with Card or Without both do exactly the same Job.

There is a difference if you come to look at undocumented features - people have found a way to change the voice prompts on the old units (the ones with everything on the transflash card). Currently I've not seen any reports that anyone has managed to do this on one of the new units (with internal mapping). See this thread.
adrianpwood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

965 POI's doesn't seem like a lot at all as if you were to install the speed camera database from PGPSW then it is more like 10000 Speed cameras for the UK
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanE wrote:
Yeah, I take the point that it works as well as a unit with a card. I thought it would be a blank transflash card for loading the speed cameras onto, cos as supplied (with the CD) I didn't think you can load the Speed Camera DB as there was insufficient room on the infernal memory? The apparent inclusion of the Memory card explained the price difference between them and Comet.

Thats what's annoyed me. It said there would be a memory card, there should be a memory card.

Ian

It wouldn't have been a blank transflash card FWIW. Mine was from Comet (£99) and did come with the transflash installed which had about 180MB worth of data preloaded, however there was still plenty of room left to load the POI's and safety cams.

Even so, if the description said it came with a card, it should have!

I note you are in Manchester. Scan do a 512MB transflash card with adapter if you're interested for £11.50.
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thar wrote:

It wouldn't have been a blank transflash card FWIW. Mine was from Comet (£99) and did come with the transflash installed which had about 180MB worth of data preloaded, however there was still plenty of room left to load the POI's and safety cams.

Even so, if the description said it came with a card, it should have!

I note you are in Manchester. Scan do a 512MB transflash card with adapter if you're interested for £11.50.

I shall check that out cheers, I work not far from Scan.

I'd still rather have got one from Maplin as it said in their advert. Must be some rule they've broken! Evil or Very Mad
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanE wrote:
I shall check that out cheers, I work not far from Scan.

I'd still rather have got one from Maplin as it said in their advert. Must be some rule they've broken! Evil or Very Mad

Just spotted these are on "Today Only" and are now only £9.39!
IanE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been and bought one at lunchtime for £11.50 Sad
doobs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sister has just bought an i3 from carphone warehouse - was originally £124.99 but they price matched to halfords website -£99.99 - cracking deal. On box it said includes "i3 with preprogrammed city navigator maps etc" - assumed it was built in maps but told her to get it anyway! - I thought I would add poi's and speed cameras for her and in doing this i discovered that the micro sd card was in side of unit to my surprise!

Still none the wiser
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanE wrote:
I've been and bought one at lunchtime for £11.50 Sad

Fridays today only's tend to take a little longer to show than weekdays. Doh! Still good value at £11.50 though plus you get the adapter thrown in which I had to buy separate for a fiver.
white_knight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanE wrote:

Ian

Hi Ian

This helps to clear up my concerns. Like you I was sure that the advert said that a 256MB transflash card was included. I managed to get a copy of the webpage from my webhistory list and confirmed what the advert said.

I was puzzled about the empty slot and nothing loose in the box. I began to wonder that it had fallen out somewhere whilst I was getting used to the device.

When I queried it with Maplin, they said that it came pre-installed. Does that mean pre-installed in the slot? or does it mean that there is sufficient internal memory? Anyway, the advert said it should be there and there is a trades description issue if it hasn't been supplied.

Don't know how hard to push this one because Maplin have always been ok in the past Confused

Geoff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: