Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie TomTom One User...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie TomTom One User...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manical
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Newbie TomTom One User... Reply with quote

Is there a way to stop navigation? The tomtom has calculated my route but mid route I decided that I don't want that destination anymore, but the tomtom will just continually recalculate my route... How do I stop this?. On my garmin there is a 'stop navigation' button, is there something like that on the tomtom ONe?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but for some daft reason it's one of the buttons "hidden" by default. Go to Change preferences / Page 3 / and tap "Show all menu options". Now you will have loads more menu items and "Clear Route" will be on the main menu (page 2 or 3 I think)

You can also create a custom menu file to rearrange things and put it where you want (e.g. I have ALL menu options selected but my custom menu skips all the mobile phone stuff so I only have 2 main menu pages!)

If you're interested, there are instructions on how to do it buried in the forum posts if you search.
manical
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... thanks.. I have been reading the manual over and over, and it was so difficult to figure out.

Thanks much!
manical
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other thing...

How do I get the screen to show my speed?
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am running version 6.52 and the menu to set the speed is as follows:-

Change preferences, status bar preferences and then select speed.

Regards
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to answer the next question.... Wink
The on-screen speed display is much more accurate than your speedo.
Speedos by law cannot under-read at all, so they are usually set to read 5-10% fast.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the speed display will show just your speed e.g. 43, sometimes it will show 43/60. This second view is of your speed in relation to the current road speed limit. One proviso is that the "current road speed limit" is whatever information is on the mapping data. You will find that the data is often not there (when you just get your speed shown) or inaccurate. The 43 speed when combined with a speed limit of 40 will change color to red because you're 3 miles an hour over whatever limit - go to 5 miles over and it will start flashing too.

You cannot configure this display. If you have your speed displayed, you get the speed limit also - you CANNOT turn off the speed limit part of it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Sometimes the speed display will show just your speed e.g. 43, sometimes it will show 43/60. This second view is of your speed in relation to the current road speed limit. One proviso is that the "current road speed limit" is whatever information is on the mapping data. You will find that the data is often not there (when you just get your speed shown) or inaccurate. The 43 speed when combined with a speed limit of 40 will change color to red because you're 3 miles an hour over whatever limit - go to 5 miles over and it will start flashing too.

I have an original TTone, although I have the latest software for it. I have never had anything other than a straight forward speed shown as a number, ie 43, rather than 43/60 and it never goes red. I have not upgraded my UK map since I bought my TT, is it only new maps which have speed limits embedded ?

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

999tommo wrote:
is it only new maps which have speed limits embedded ?

Yes - I didn't get it with my GO700 until I got the new map a couple of months ago, whereas it was already featuring in my new GO710 1st December. I can revert to just plain speed with the 700 because I've still got the old map installed, but the new map is (fractionally, perhaps) more up to date, so I use that - I have no grumbles about the map, because I got it with a free voucher.

WartHog1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another newbie question.

I just purchased a TomTom One and I can't seem to find obvious POIs like Wal-Mat, HomeDepot or Costco. Are these not included in the Teleatlas maps, or am I just not using the thing correctly?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WartHog1 wrote:
Another newbie question.

I just purchased a TomTom One and I can't seem to find obvious POIs like Wal-Mat, HomeDepot or Costco. Are these not included in the Teleatlas maps, or am I just not using the thing correctly?

Change Preferences ... Enable/disable POIs will give you a list to check, but whether those particular stores are in I don't know. This site has a page with downloads of POIs. Again I don't know what they have, but have a look-see.

46jimbo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warthog, the TomTom website offers a free download of POIs for retail stores. Maybe what you need will be in it.

http://plus.tomtom.com/cens/spm/poi/download.php?l=4&id=328
ben_e71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as we are asking newbie questions - just switched to TOmTOM after having a garmin and lvoing it so much. But is there a way to have distances in miles but the distances to tunrs in metres.

I know I am confused but I think in metres but once metres get big think in miles.
Arimus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know you can't...

For a rough idea just think of yards as meters.
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the nicities of the imperial and metric system are potentially too great for TT to consider having metres and miles or kilometres and yards as units of distance measurement.

I understand the need for the Metric system being on the TT as TT come from Holland. But that is the only reason I will accept it on my TT.

We have to be very careful about posting items like this because this is tip of the iceberg and marks the gradual erosion of the imperial system - no longer are our proud and humble greengrocers allowed to sell you a lb of granny smiths. We did not fight 2 world wars for this. I firmly believe that this is the beginning of the slippery slope of the labour government taking us into Europe on the back of these metres and doing away with our yards.

We need to stand proud against this sort of folly and vehemently reject any attempt to accept these foreign metres.

Our successors will acknowledge that we were the start of the defence of our realm and its proud imperial origins.

Winston.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: