Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Mobile v6?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Mobile v6?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Tomtom Mobile v6? Reply with quote

I've been following the v6 thread in the Tomtom Navigator forum and it sounds like it may be released soon, but surprisingly there's nobody talking about it in here.

Has there been any news about whether or not Tomtom will release Mobile v6?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Mobile v6? Reply with quote

Hi Sean_K,

Sean_K wrote:
Has there been any news about whether or not Tomtom will release Mobile v6?

I don’t think that there has been any official news about this.

Sean_K wrote:
I've been following the v6 thread in the Tomtom Navigator forum and it sounds like it may be released soon, but surprisingly there's nobody talking about it in here.

Nobody will talk about, even if it exists, because if anybody was involved in developing it or testing it then they would be doing so under an NDA. Smile

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Mobile v6? Reply with quote

Sean_K wrote:
I've been following the v6 thread in the Tomtom Navigator forum and it sounds like it may be released soon,

Eh !

The only thing that I have read, is that there will NOT be any new versions.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Mobile v6? Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Sean_K wrote:

Nobody will talk about, even if it exists, because if anybody was involved in developing it or testing it then they would be doing so under an NDA. Smile
Now that the Palm V6 seems to be out, I hope that there will be more details forthcoming, either a definitive statement from TomTom or, hopefully, from any of the Mods who have been alpha/beta testing and tied by a NDA.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
pinkllama
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out this site, it states the new treo will have tomtom navigator 6.

http://www.pdasnews.com/articles/1911/1/Palm%26%2339%3Bs-New-GPS-Navigator-Smartphone-Bundle
Sean_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sent Tomtom an email asking if they plan on releasing a new version of Tomtom Mobile. I'll post the response here when (if?) I receive one.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm at the stage of considering a new phone and I'm torn between a fancy Nokia or one of the PDA type phones. Now the Nokia will work out much cheaper as I already have TomTom Mobile but if there are no plans to upgrade TomTom Mobile I may have to think twice.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
Thanks. I'm at the stage of considering a new phone and I'm torn between a fancy Nokia or one of the PDA type phones. Now the Nokia will work out much cheaper as I already have TomTom Mobile but if there are no plans to upgrade TomTom Mobile I may have to think twice.

I have a Nokia N80 and TTM5 will NOT run on any Series 60 Version 3.

It is my understanding that they only have to re-compile it with the new compiler and "Robert's your father's brother". But no, TT will release it as part of TTM6 I guess.

In addition, I am thinking of just using the phone an droping my PDA solution for the intergration of TT Traffic and wrking with my car kit. Therefore, I look forward to hearing what TT have to say.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently looking at the N73 which I believe runs the same OS as the N80. Lets hope TomTom can get their act together.

I don't see why I should throw away my £200 investment in TomTom mobile just because I want a new phone and they are too slow to support new models Sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they probably see nothing wrong in losing a few TomTom Mobile customers when at the same time they can harvest a huge blob of PND users.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Sean_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
And they probably see nothing wrong in losing a few TomTom Mobile customers when at the same time they can harvest a huge blob of PND users.

The funny thing is, is that I think Tomtom Mobile could be very successful if they marketted it properly.

When I was deciding what type of Sat nav to get, I was right on the verge of buying a PDA and TTN when I discovered TTM. I already had a device (Nokia 6600) that could run the Tomtom software, so why waste hundreds on a second device which I didn't even really want?

Most people don't even know that TTM exists, Smartphone owners included. If they advertised it a bit, they would get a lot more sales.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current PND hype need to cool down before everybody recognizes that the multi function smartphones are the new big market.

Right now it is more lucrative for Tomtom to sell hardware. The software is just "peanuts" to cite a now infamous german bank boss.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are doing some promotions, I've seen TomTom Mobile in Halfords as a bundle with new phones, and Ford is pushing TomTom Mobile as part of an offer when you buy a new car (it's actually nothing of the sort as the same deal is available seperately)

lbendlin is probably right tho.. If I was to get a new phone I'd probably end up buying a TomTom ONE, so they win either way Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: