Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP iPAQ rw6828 & GPS Bluetooth Receiver
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP iPAQ rw6828 & GPS Bluetooth Receiver

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danield11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: HP iPAQ rw6828 & GPS Bluetooth Receiver Reply with quote

Hi,

I have purchased a HP iPAQ Bluetooth GPS Receiver for my iPAQ rw6828.

I cannot get the two to pair successfully though.

Using Windows Mobile 5, I try to partner the two under Settings -
Bluetooth. I am asked for a passcode which I leave blank. I am then
prompted to connect to the GPS receiver (which then flashes to signal a
connection so all seems ok). I am then asked for another passcode.
The manual states that the default is "2003". I enter this but then
seem to lose the connection (as the GPS receiver flashes to signal that
there is no connection). On my rw6828 the GPS receiver appears but has
a "?" next to it. Creating new incoming or outgoing ports does not
seem to help the issue. Also I have TTN5 which requires com ports 2, 3, 4 or 9 to be available. I cannot select any of these as outgoing ports as they must be in use.

Has anyone had this type of problem? Please help! I can't find an exact match for this issue in the forums previously.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to enter the passcode to get the unit to communicate with the GPS, I have never come across 2003 but if thats what the book says use it, the more common code is 0000 (four zeros), re-check the manual for the GPS unit to establish the exact code the unit requires.

The type of port you need to create is an "Outgoing" one, don't worry about the port not being available in TomTom, when you get the port created correctly TomTom will list the com port amongst the list of ports in the TomTom application (try using com0), also the question mark is quite normal so don't worry about that - Mike
danield11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the tip. But I am still not having any luck.

The manual that came with the BT GPS receiver refers to instructions for WM2002 & WM2003 not WM5 so it is pretty dated.

As I said if I leave the passkey blank the GPS and the rw6828 connect. However I am then asked for another passkey. I have tried 2003 and 0000. Either way it then disconnects and I have no success. I have even tried keying these in at the initial passkey request but then the devices dont connect at all! I am not too worried about the TTN side of things at the moment, I just want to get the devices pairing!

Although new to the world of PDA's, I consider myself very tech savvy, so this is incredibly frustrating.

I realise the rw6828 is a fairly new model and this may be one of the first posts relating to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel
danield11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I have finally got my gear (HP iPAQ rw6828 & HP iPAQ Bluetooth GPS Receiver) talking to each other using TomTom Navigator 5 on Windows Mobile 5! Laughing

I thought I would post what worked for me in case I could possibly assist any others out there with the same issue. From what I have seen there have been a couple. If I have helped, I would love to hear from you!

If you have had many attempts at this, I would recommend you clear all previous bluetooth pairings, installations and GPS settings then do a soft reset at the minimum. A hard reset is preferable (be sure to backup all contacts, etc to a computer before doing so!).

1. Install TomTom on your device. DO NOT pair the bluetooth receiver yet!
2. Go to Start, Settings, System, GPS.
3. Set GPS program port to COM0.
4. Set GPS hardware port to COM7. Tap OK to exit. DO NOT pair the bluetooth receiver yet!
5. Go to Start, TomTom Navigator.
6. Configure TomTom and your connection as Other Bluetooth Receiver and select COM0 (the GPS program port) as it should be available now (it was never previously available to me in all my other efforts!).
7. Exit TomTom Navigator.
8. NOW pair the bluetooth receiver in Start, Settings, Connections, Bluetooth. Switch bluetooth on and then on the Devices tab select New Partnership. Once found select the bluetooth receiver and tap Next. Enter the required passcode and tap Next. Check the Serial Port box and tap Finish. BEFORE creating bluetooth COM ports go to the next step.
9. Tap OK to go back to Settings then System tab and GPS.
10. Set GPS program port to None. If you do not do this, you will not be able to set the incoming port as COM0 in your Bluetooth settings. We will come back and change it again later. Tap OK to exit.
11. Go back to the Connections tab and click Bluetooth.
12. On the COM Ports tab select New Outgoing Port. Select your GPS receiver and tap next. Select COM7 (the GPS hardware port) and tap Finish.
13. Now select New Incoming Port and select COM0. If you cannot do this, it is most likely you skipped step 10. Tap Finish to exit.
14. Tap OK to go back to Settings then System tab and GPS.
15. Set GPS program port back to COM0. Tap OK to exit then close the settings window.
16. Startup TomTom Navigator and... VOILA! You should be seeing your current location in a matter of seconds!

The truly bizarre thing about my 3 weeks of attempting to get this to work was that I had actually performed all the above steps but possibly in different order (well all apart from the changing around of the GPS program ports in that particular way!). I could never get COM0 as a port in TomTom. So I highly recommend following these instructions to a T if you are having serious trouble like I was. I managed to put all the information I had gathered from various forums, HP support and colleagues at HP (yes I work for HP!!!) together and come up with a RELATIVELY simple way of doing it! In the age of Plug n Play, this seems like a very laborious way to do things. Couldn't someone make an easier way???

Many thanks to all that had responded in my desparation. You all have in one way or another assisted in getting this to work for me. My faith in the PDA world has been restored!

I think my next purchase will definitely need to have an inbuilt receiver Wink

Happy Trails Everyone!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the 6828 too, and didn't have any of your problems.

- Simply pair the devices, specify the passcode that's listed for the receiver.
- Then subscribe to the serial port service of the receiver
- then create a new outgoing port, use COM7 (don't touch that ridiculous GPS applet in the control panel) and disable encryption
- Lastly, select COM7 in TomTom, and off you go.

A couple points.
- the ? mark next to the receiver is "normal" - For unknown reasons the BT device list does not include GPS receivers as a recognizable class
- TomTom doesn't require any of the ports you mention. It simply lists the ports it knows.
- the 6828 is NOT a smartphone. I have moved the topic.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
danield11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lutz,

For some reason it was never that simple for me. TTN5 only ever had com ports 2, 3, 4 & 9 available for selection and I could never select these as outgoing ports for pairing? It wasn't until I "tricked" it (obviously not a smartphone if I can trick it!) into recognising COM0 that it worked. Oh well, I am happy now anyway.

By the way, can you please explain the difference between a smartphone and a pocket pc phone?

Thanks,

Daniel
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smartphones do not have touchscreens

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: