Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ICN530 bad dot on lcd
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ICN530 bad dot on lcd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: ICN530 bad dot on lcd Reply with quote

I've had my 530 for 3 weeks and was great in France while on holiday.

It only got confused a few times with new roads and forgot to tell me to turn but a bit of common sense is all that was required.

The Children loved the MCDonalds POI's that I uploaded!

I however get the odd applicatin fault and have to reset the unit, normally when I set a destination with no GPS fix or cancel a route. The unit seems to get confused.

The main issue is that I have noticed a bad dot on the LCD screen.

Any advice?
Question Question
Thanks,

Ian
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Navman will replace it as its clearly so new.

There is this little article which may be of interest, although it really refrs to computer monitors.

There are few things more aggravating than a dead or ‘hot’ (permanently lit) pixel on an LCD screen. The trouble is some manufacturers seem to think a few dicky pixels are okay, provided they’re not too close to the centre of the screen, and will refuse to replace it.

If you are buying a new screen it’s worth checking the small print in the manufacturer and vendor’s terms and conditions for the low-down on duff pixels. Even if there is a get out clause and you are lumbered with a screen that you consider to defective it’s still worth complaining as some vendors and manufacturers are more reasonable than others.

If they won’t take it back then there are a few things you can try to fix a hot (though not a dead or blacked out) pixel. In practice the success rate is quite low but you might get lucky and what have you got to lose?

Gentle massage has proved successful in a few cases. The rather dubious theory is that light pressure around the defective pixel forces the liquid crystals back into their little pockets. Apparently the trick is to switch the screen off, rub the area using a soft cloth, then after a few seconds switch the screen back on. Another wheeze is to gently tap the area, it also sounds a bit optimistic but who knows? Just be very careful not to tap too hard or you’ll have a few million more dead pixels on your hands…

The last two methods are a lot safer and involve switching the pixels on and off really fast, presumably in an attempt to reset or switch the faulty pixel back to its normal working state. My favourite is a little freeware utility program called Dead Pixel Tester or DPT, which in addition to a Pixel ‘Exerciser’ facility also has a number of useful and rather funky test patterns and screens that can help you to find faulty pixels.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust all options of getting a replacement before trying the above, somewhat dubious fixes.
Unfortunatly dead pixels happen on LCD's Hopefully Navman or the retailer will replace it for you, you may need to get pushy - "assert your authorita" and don't take no without a fight (I don't recommend going as far as getting physical .)
8O

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: