Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA Scenic byways
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA Scenic byways

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: USA Scenic byways Reply with quote

I've yet to purchase my maps of North America (that's the subject of a seperate query on this forum).

But, as I'm visiting the Appalachians next month, I wonder if anyone can tell me if the 'Blue Ridge Parkway' is included in the Tomtom maps of the USA?

Thanks in advance.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try asking on tomtom.com or clubtomtom? If you don't get an answer here (I'm not sure), you can always ask there.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I 've also asked Tomtom. But no reply as yet.

I can't find a highway or interstate number for the blue ridge parkway - perhaps it doesn't have one.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: USA Scenic byways Reply with quote

phineus wrote:
I've yet to purchase my maps of North America (that's the subject of a seperate query on this forum).

But, as I'm visiting the Appalachians next month, I wonder if anyone can tell me if the 'Blue Ridge Parkway' is included in the Tomtom maps of the USA?

Thanks in advance.

On the KY VA TN NC map, I found one end at Great Smoky Mountains Nat Park and the other near Waynesboro VA.
Best way to set a route for such a long and complex route would be to make an itinerary with waypoints. Tried a few options but could not get a route to stick to the BRPWay for the entire length.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's pretty much what I intend to do.

That's why I wanted to ensure I purchased the correct map, so I could activate the map(s) here in the UK and, as I'm stopping over at Cherokee, Blowing Rock and Roanoke, I was going to set up an itinerary.

In other words; I fly to Atlanta, switch on the PDA, get the rental car and instantly navigate my chosen route.....well that's the theory anyway!
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot of help really, but below is the reply I received from Tomtom on this issue. They seem to think the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) is a location rather than a 500 mile long road. Anyway, I have the option to go back to edit (re-phrase) my original question so I will point this out to them.

I know I could set waypoints (and of course a route/itinerary) but I wanted to know if the BRP will show up as a road when I'm travelling along it.

Tomtom Reply:
If this is a national monument then you should be able to find it using the POI function on your Tom Tom system. Please go into the Tom Tom system and select Change Preferences - Manage POI - Enable/Disable POI. Place a tick in the box for the relevant POI category there that would describe the 'blue ridge parkway'. If this does not show up on your system, then this place is not entered on the map.

In this case you can log in to your Tom Tom account online and go to the Support section. At the top right hand side of this page you will see a box named My Tom Tom. Within this box you will find a link named Report Map Feedback. Use the form to report this item missing on your map.

With best regards,
The TomTom Customer Support Team
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pointed out to TT support that the BRP was a road. Here is their reply:

"We would be very surprised that if this road is 500+ miles long that it will not show up on your map. unless this road was constructed in the last year then the system should definitely show you are driving on this road when you are on it."

Well, I would be surprised as well. But, because the road has no number designation, I was really after confirmation that it is indeed on the map.

Anyway, I'll take my answer from Mullet who said he found the BRP on the state maps.

Thanks All.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: