Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swiftlee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Hello boys and girls, I'm new.

I have a couple of questions about my I3 I couldn't find the answers to by searching:

1. This unit does have voice capbility doesn't it? Or am I being daft? The language is set to English and Voice is set to on, but I get nothing other than button beeps. What to do?

2. Can searches be done for say a house with no number, only a name? I often go to rural locations with no house number but the menu seems to require a house number to search by, the problem is if I just enter 0 for example it may navigate some distance away. E.g. Breadcroft Lane, Maidenhead is in two parts, either side of a pedestrian-only railway bridge, each side of the road is some 3 miles drive apart. One half of the road has house numbers, and the other house names, so it is effectively not possible to navigate to the 'names' half of the road!

Also, another question nothing to do with the I3 itself, how do I get the suction pad to stay on the windscreen? I've tried licking it, drying it, hitting it, pushing it, pulling it, and yes I have been flipping the lever thingy over. The best I can think of is to drill through the windscreen and bolt it on. But maybe not...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, Your i3 does have a voice capability As a simple test go to Settings/ Set Volume and as the number increases / decreases the unit should also read out the value, if this doesn't work I would try a reset of the device and see if that fixes the voice, simply hold both buttons down AND the scroll wheel down at the same time, keep them pressed for a few seconds, then see if your units voice has returned.

As for searches when you don't know the number/ there is no number, I put in 0 and my unit returns three choices either end and soetimes in the middle, if its a regular place you visit all the time create a custom POI file and add the destinations in to the device, that way it will allways take you to the correct destination.

Are you trying to secure the mount onto a very curved widscreen? if so can you try it on a flatter portion, we had a post the other week that was quite the opposite, that i3 mount wouldn't come off the screen! - Mike
swiftlee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorted the voice, read on another post to change the language selection, then change it back again & it worked!

Cheers for the advice Mike, but when I enter '0' it comes up with number options only, out in the sticks places often have no numbers at all. I guess I'll just have to live with it, It was free after all!

The windscreen isn't massively curved, but then I dont have a lot to compare it to - unless - yes, it works on the bathroom mirror. How did that chap last week unstick his?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly he didn't unstick it, it came off in more than one bit - broken mount, so I guess they do stick well. I find a little ammount of spit works fine, just enough to moisten the surface, then press it firmly to the glass whilst you aply pressure to the locking mechanism.
When my i3 is in the Ovlov I can pull the unit off the mount with no fear of the mount coming away from the screen - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: