Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim X5 and Haicom 303-MMF
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim X5 and Haicom 303-MMF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlunS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim X5 and Haicom 303-MMF Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new here, and have a small problem you may be able to help me with.

I've got a Dell Axim X5 with PPC2003 and have recently bought a Haicom 303-MMF. Now, it works fine with OziCE and Mapopolis if I set the comms port to com5:, which is what I see in PHM Device Manager, but the little "GPS Information" program that comes on the CD only gives me the option of COM1:-COM4: ! Not really a huge problem, but there are a couple of options there like Power Save and WAAS/EGNOS that I'd like to try out.

Any ideas ? Is there an updated version of Haitest.exe (my version is Ver 5.0b), or maybe another generic SiRF program I can use to set these options with?

TIA

Alun Saunders
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D I've found this before too. If the combo box allows you to type into it, sometimes you can bring up the keyboard and type a new COM port, but most of the time you can't. Unfortunately it's extremely bad programming on their part.

You could try WinFast Navigator (on our downloads page under Leadtek) to switch between NMEA and SiRF, or you could SiRF Tweak at http://sirftweak.networktroubles.org/
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dave - I ditched the Haicom program and use both the programs he mentioned with my HI-303MMF.

Due to bugs in mode switching in SiRFtweak, I'd only use that to enable and disable SBAS mode (referred to, in the program, as WAAS/EGNOS). Use Winfast Navigator for anything else.

At the moment, there's not really a usable SBAS signal in Europe, as we're in the interim period between EGNOS testing and the launched version of EGNOS. Unless it's changed in the last couple of weeks, the only geostationary satellite putting out an EGNOS signal is so low to the horizon that it's essentially invisible from the UK. This will change over the coming months.

I personally have never bothered with power save (sometimes referred to as trickle mode). Even without it, the HI-303MMF doesn't draw that much power. So far as I remember, SBAS doesn't work in trickle mode, and the more aggressive trickle parameters that are possible increase the time between position fixes.

David
AlunS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both Dave's!

Unfortunately since my 303-MMF is a Christmas pressie from my wife, she has grabbed it off me, wrapped it up, and put it under the Christmas tree! I'll get more of a chance to play with it in a couple of days time!

One more thing ... what is the "VTG" option on the Haicom test program menu?

I'm aware of the whole WAAS/EGNOS thing too, BTW. I actually live in Ireland, and I've been able to get both AOR-E and IOR on my eTrex Venture in the past when up in the Wicklow hills, with the stronger signal from AOR-E. That has stopped transmitting now, until EGNOS goes operational on Artemis, so it's only IOR now which is far too low on the horizon to be useful in the UK, let alone Ireland in a car environment.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTG is the NMEA sentence that gives direction and speed information - the Haicom utility allows you to turn it on and off. Assuming you choose a SiRF option (which includes "Haicom GPS"), the TomTom GPS program reconfigures the GPS output to what it wants. However, there are cases where you have to do this configuration yourself - just one use for Winfast Navigator!

EGNOS - as you say, IOR (PRN 131) is very low to the horizon in the UK. AOR (PRN 120) is currently not transmitting EGNOS information. Over the next six months, Artemis (PRN 124) should hopefully start transmitting EGNOS information.

IOR-W (PRN 126) may already be transmitting EGNOS - but I don't think it is yet.

What information there is on EGNOS status is here, though it's not been updated recently.

David
AlunS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information on IOR-W is a bit sketchy on the ESTB website. They mention IOR a lot, but as far as I can tell they're referring to IOR-E. Personally I've never seen anything from other than AOR-E and IOR(-E) on my Garmin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: