Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Maps ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Maps ? Reply with quote

Please can someone clarify exactly how maps are set up on the C510D deluxe ? I've installed the software on City Navigator NT+ DVD to my PC and have planned a route with 3 waypoints and used the "transfer to Garmin" option to tx to my Garmin. When I disconnect the Garmin from the PC and start the Garmin I see the 3 waypoints in my favourites but no pre-arranged route ? Is this all the fuunctionality allows you to do i.e plan a route on the PC with multiple Waypoints however when the route is transferred to the Garmin only the waypoints go across ?

What is the difference bewteen a "trace" and a "route" do I need to transfer both ?

Also can anyone tell me if I take my Garmin c510D over to France will I be able to navigate there ? Or is do I need to load / transfer any maps from the City Navigator DVD to the Garmin beforehand ? The instructions are really unclear on this point ! When I used to use my TomTom I knew that I had to install a detailed France map to an SD card. Would really appreciate any help people could give me. Thank you

Rgds
afterall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Maps Reply with quote

First question is have you actually transferred any map sets to your satnav.

With my i3 I had to select the map tiles for France that are knew were going to cover my travelling area and then transferred those over. But please note:-

You should also look for threads that address making your maps fully routable. It was'nt that difficult once you have found the info / programs / followed the instruction.

A
afterall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: See this thread Reply with quote

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Private_Messages&file=index&folder=inbox&mode=read&p=32166

As a folow up to my previous reply I found the info that helped me. I don't know if it will suit your device, but it worked for my Garmin i3.

A
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afterall,
I cannot follow that link as it is to a pm. Please can you just cut n paste info into a post. thks
afterall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Try this. Reply with quote

Cut and paste attached below.

A

Ok try and zoom in on an area in southern France and see if it shows all the minor roads . The basemaps will only show major Roads.

the only instructions I have used were at

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=220646

If at all possible try and load the maps using a transflash adapter and a card reader instead of the i3 itself as this seems more reliable and select t in img2gps the card rather than the i3 as the destination

I hope this makes sense.

I was involved in a thread about a month ago on this

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40185&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I hope this helps.

don't be put off. Initilally a take a little trial and error
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

City Navigator NT+ should be routable anyway if you use the mapsource loader. I is only metroguide that isn't unless you cheat the system!

Going back to original request Yes you will have to tranfer the maps over to the Gps before you go!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Maps ? Reply with quote

I think the c510d is like the Nuvi, and only supports 1 via point (waypoint). Although Mapsource offers the ability to create routes with multiple waypoints, the device does not support this, hence why your waypoints went across, but not the actual route. It's unclear if Garmin will provide this functionality in the future.

Yes, the c510d only ships with the UK/Ireland map preinstalled, any others countries on the DVD will need installing to either the device, or preferably an SD Card before you will get the benefit of the detailed mapping.
Type23
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing,
How do you transfer the country map for France across to an SD card available for the Garmin to "read" , this is all I really want and have been searching the forum for an "idots guide" Embarassed how to do this in simple terms ? Rolling Eyes

thank you

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: