Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Famous Voice Install Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Famous Voice Install Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Famous Voice Install Query Reply with quote

I've got TomTom5 on my Windows Mobile 2003 PDA and have downloaded lots of famous voices and have been trying to get them to work with TomTom with partial success.

I've followed the instructions and copied the 3 loose files, e.g. data61.bmp, data61.chk, data61.vif to the correct TomTom folder on the PDA.

When I go to change the voice, instead of the correct picture & famous name showing on the selection screen, I just get an "unknown voice" and generic picture, yet the "test voice" correctly works with the famous voice in question!

Its like TomTom doesn't know the .bmp (image file) is there, and so just displays the generic picture.

Any ideas please????
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A folder called TomTom in the root of the memory card usually does the trick, it doesn't need to contain anything, also the voice files should be placed into the voices folder, if you don't have a voices folder in the root of the memory card simply create one and put the voice files into it - Mike
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
A folder called TomTom in the root of the memory card usually does the trick, it doesn't need to contain anything, also the voice files should be placed into the voices folder, if you don't have a voices folder in the root of the memory card simply create one and put the voice files into it - Mike

Thank You! :P

After a bit of experimenting, I ended up putting all my voice files on the root directory of my memory card in a folder called "Voices" and an empty folder called "TomTom" which seems to be needed for some reason!

I tried alternate methods, but as you suggested, this works like a dream. :D

Now that this is sorted, I only have one further issue to resolve:-

How to put the TomTom files on a memory card in such a way that it will automatically install TomTom on the PDA when the card is installed without any firther prompting. Question

I know it can be done, but it's not obvious to me. Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put the CAB files in a folder on the card and select each one in file Explorer to install the application, if you do this make sure each CAB file is set to Read Only or they will disapear the first time you run them, but as you are limitted to a certain number of installes over a given period of time to different devices why do you need the auto installer? - Mike
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can put the CAB files in a folder on the card and select each one in file Explorer to install the application, if you do this make sure each CAB file is set to Read Only or they will disapear the first time you run them, but as you are limitted to a certain number of installs over a given period of time to different devices why do you need the auto installer? - Mike

1) What do you mean about a certain number of installs over a given period of time?

2) Do I need the accompanying .ini files with the .cab files?

3) I thought that there was a way so that when you insert the memory card into the PDA, it would automatically install TomTom if it was not installed?

4) Seems a bit strange that the .cab files would disappear if they are run & not set to read only..not heard of that before on any Windows device!!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike means that if you want to use tomtom on a number of pdas then you are limited to 3 activations although for the license you must uninstall from the last pda before using it on another pda

1 the initial acctivation

2 second acctivation on second pda 7 days after initial activation

3 third accivation 180 day after the first activation and the one acctivation each 180 days to take in to consideration people unpgradeing there pda once or twice a year

if the battery runs flat on your pda and you then reinstall the tomtom application it then tis does not count as a second activation as the deevice code will be the same

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
If the battery runs flat on your pda and you then reinstall the tomtom application it then does does not count as a second activation as the device code will be the same

That's been my problem...in recent times I've had several dodgy batteries on several PDAs that I own and the need to reinstall from scratch every time the battery fails!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the map has already been activated on the map then it wont count to the acctivations

as mike has said use the cab install is the eaiest way

device Lumia 950 xl
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or even something like sprite back up woul work for you

device Lumia 950 xl
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or install TT on the storage card and run from there.
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Or install TT on the storage card and run from there.

I've tried selecting the storage card when installing it from the main installer via my PC, but it still installs to program files etc on the PDA and creates empty directories on the storage card!
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only done this once for a pal but if my memory is correct all you need to do is copt and paste the Navigator folder from device to storage after installation and make a shortcut to the TTN.exe. Someone may bbe able to be more specific.
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navigator folder only contains 3 files: an navigator.exe, navigator.cfg & data.chk

I've copied the whole folder to the root of the memory card and also copied all 3 files seperately to the root of the memory card...just in case.

I rebooted the PDA and inserted the memory card and nothing happened at all, so your suggestion must be incorrect.

When its installed properly, you get a folder created in Program Files called Navigator, a TomTom folder in the root with several files & a folder in My Documents with a currentmap file.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotlips69 wrote:

I rebooted the PDA and inserted the memory card and nothing happened at all, so your suggestion must be incorrect.

Did you actually tap on the TT.exe to start the application?
The search function revealed these and many others.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43002&highlight=tomtom+sd+card
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39977&highlight=tomtom+sd+card
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=31959&highlight=tomtom+sd+card
hotlips69
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, I solved my problem by copying 9 .cab files (with their respective .ini files), making them read-only, and then manually clicking on them one-by-one.

TomTom installed fully as if it had been installed via the original CD. :P

Thanks for all the help everyone on this forum has given me!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: