Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Losing POI Warnings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Losing POI Warnings?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Losing POI Warnings? Reply with quote

Hi peeps, quick question for the joint info brain Laughing Out Loud, My TT go720 loses my poi warnings! I don't do anything to delete them they just vanish! It's a pain having to enter all the speed camera warning again! Does anyone else have this issue, or know why it happens? and is there a file on the unit i can copy to my pc that contains the warning data, so i can just copy it back to the unit?

Thanks in advance.
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Dont know why they disappear but the file that has those settings plus any other changes you make like favourites etc, is called "mapsettings.cfg".

you will find it in the map folder, so if you have a back up simply copy and paste.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

"Does anyone else have this issue"
YES! I certainly did with my 3x TT720.

"why it happens"
Bug in the software, still not much better in later versions either.
Is it mainly happening with your own OGG sound file ones?

"is there a file on the unit i can copy"
YES! However, when i did this on my TT720, the unit still reset all my POI warnings. Possibly as it detected a file change? However i think thats now been sorted. The file you need is mapsetting.cfg

Double check what software version your using, if its 7.00 then i would recommend updating it.

Hope this helps

MPW
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should also check the MapSettings.cfg file isn't set to read only as this can also cause the settings to disapear everytime you switch the device off.

Use Windows Explorer to locate the MapSettings.cfg file in your map folder, right click it and select 'Properties' from the popup, if the 'Read Only' check box is ticked deselect it and try again - Mike
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my signiture saysu'm using app 8.010 with v7 maps! soon upgrading when mike give the thumbs up! i'm using the option of text to speach warnings! for speed cams but ogg warnings for low bridges! when it resets it does all my warnings! Nothing else resets that i've noticed! Wondering if the unit curupts the mapconfig file and rewrites a new one when it does? On this note i use internat memory, but do have a 2gb card inserted but not used for anything yet!
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wophs didnt see your signature, good point though.

Are your OGGs in the map folder or in your Sounds folder?
If in the map folder, try putting them into Sounds.

Good luck.

MPW
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my oggs in one basket, oops folder soz couln't resist the pun! All ogg in sound folder. I am inclined to think the TT updates the mapconfig file regularly and occasionaly currupts it! Then re-writes it from scratch losing your warnings! Please correct me if i'm wrong anyone.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 720 went through a phase of deleting POI warnings every time it was connected to a PC (either Home or PGPSW updates).

Suddenly, this problem disappeared as quickly and mysteriously as it manifested.

I got into the habit of checking POI warnings after each time I'd connected the 720 and I continue to check POI warnings after each connection.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first couple of times i thought thats what it might be @gps fan seeing as i have a years subscription to the TT camera data base still running! (turned them on when i lost our database OMG shamefull to pay for TT ones) But i've not connected to PC for nearly two weeks when this happened! So that rules that out on this occasion!
mcqueen
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is happening to me too! I've got a TomTom One (v2). A few months ago I noticed the sound warnings were getting dropped each time I connected my device to my PC to update the speed cameras. Then all was well, and now it's started dropping the warnings again! Well, at least this time I now know that I should copy the mapsettings.cfg from my back up. It was tedious before, having to manually set each one up again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying the advice above, to keep a copy of MapSettings.cfg?

I always keep one handy on the root of the TomTom's drive, so wherever I am, if I can connect to a PC I can pop it back into the map folder.

As well as the issue of it happening after a connection to Home, it can also happen more often if you originally copied the MapSettings.cfg file from a different machine or from an earlier software version. Starting from scratch with one generated by the software version you're running now, can help reduce the frequency.

Touch wood, it hasn't happened to me for months now...
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having this problem with my TomTom 530T. Everytime I connect it to my PC, regardless of using the Home software it decides to forget the sound I have set to warn me of speed cameras (I use the PocketGPSworld ones). To be quite honest I just want to throw my Tom Tom out of the window now. I can't even create a backup of the file mentioned above because it seems as soon as I connect the TomTom to my PC it loses the settings. What a pile of crap it is. The default sound is useless IMO, I can't find the one I want on the unit to rename so it gets used as the default.

Anyone know how an equivalent Garmin unit compares to the TomTom 530T? Seriously thinking of ditching the TomTom.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ditch the TomTom yet because you have an unusual fault. I'm sure someone will be along with the answer soon. Otherwise, if it's still under guarantee take it back as it's obviously faulty.
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have since read numerous other posts relating to this same issue with various TomTom's, none of them sadly offered the solution I was hoping for. I have partially got round this issue by using the .ogg camera files available here. I have further modified these for my own use - made them shorter. Not quite what I wanted to do but at least they seem to keep working after I have connected the TomTom to my PC.

It seems this bug in the TomTom software has been around a good year or so now so it's more than about time TomTom had got it fixed IMO. Sad
Blitzer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent a good few hours today creating my own speed camera warnings by creating some new .ogg files for myself.

Using a suitable cable to connect the line-out of the TomTom to connect it to my PC I have recorded the sound file from the TomTom that I originally wanted to use. I also recorded the computer voice Kate directly off the TomTom by creating my own temporary POI category and using the text to speech feature to make my own spoken warnings. They are nice and short and naturally sound quite natural with the navigation directions being given.

My own .ogg files take the format...
e.g.

[alarm sound] Gatso 40
[alarm sound] Mobile 30
[alarm sound] Average 50

and so on.

I've yet to try them out on the road as it were but I'm really quite pleased with them. If they don't work as I want I may just create numerous copies of the same .ogg file that just contains the alarm sound and no speech, this was how I originally had my TomTom setup, but unfortunately this setting gets "lost" everytime I connect my TomTom to my PC. Using separate .ogg files for each speed camera type gets around this problem. Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: