Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone upgraded from a icn530 to an S series? Good move?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone upgraded from a icn530 to an S series? Good move?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Anyone upgraded from a icn530 to an S series? Good move? Reply with quote

I was planning to buy new maps for my 530, but then started thinking that given the price of new maps I may as well sell it and buy a new one. I've always wanted traffic info but the TM1 module always seemed so messy so the S50 with the traffic info cradle seems like an ideal solution for me.

I like the styling of Navman products, particularly the S series, but I've found the technical support to be useless and have just learnt to live with the bugs. Hopefully the S series is well sorted?

So any conmments from S series owners who have upgraded from the 530 will be appreciated. What extra features are there? Is there anything missing from the 530?

Things I like about the 530 are the day/night display, the ETA display, the adjustable horizon on 3D maps, back on track. Things I don't like are the low volume, having to go through several menus to adjust screen brightness, autozoom (zooms out too far too quickly), inability to program a custom speed cam alert, road preferences override quickest route.

Thanks for your input
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrading is always a dilemma! I too am/was faced with it but am slightly thrown by just winning a new ViaMichelin device. Had I not done so, I think I would have made a two column sheet and listed the pros of each device. Then done a sum - how much will I get for my old Navman and how much would the new maps cost? How much to buy a new T1 traffic add-on? How much would the new S** cost? Then having read these forums (and remember that most people post when there is something wrong not when they are perfectly happy) decide on the reliability of each device.

Now I have everything in black and white in front of me and, discounting the natural desire to always have the latest gadget, try to make a decision. Rolling Eyes Not easy is it Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an S90 in for review and I'm rather underwhelmed sadly, I had hoped for much more.

It's a nice looking device but it is missing too many features that a flagship device should have and I'm still not convinced that NavPix is of any real use fort he majority of users.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'm still not convinced that NavPix is of any real use for the majority of users.

Agree totally, it's just a gimmick. Who uses it? Anyone?

But I will be interested in your review, when available. I was considering giving myself a Xmas present and upgrading but some of the comments here have put me off. I'll probably just buy the new mapping for my trusty N20 when available (4th December?)
Graham
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand by my earlier post - the S series was developed by the European Navman office after the original New Zealand Office was essentially/effectively disbanded, with the lose of most of the key development staff. The S series is therefore likely to be a ground up rewrite- a new product, not an evolution of of the tested and proven products that came before it.

Would you go an by a system from Acme Navigation Co?

I like (form the limited amount) what I have seen of the S series, but it is to early for me to rush out and buy one, I think V2 will be much better. I am not an early adopter - early majority I think they call me. I prefer others to find the bugs before I fork out my hard earned cash.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good until you pick it up. You then realise it's very cheaply constructed and feels plasticky.

The S90 comes with a pseudo active cradle the separate USB plug attaches to the cradle but the TMC antenna has to be plugged into the side of the unit itself. Yet on the cheaper models that do not have TMC the accessory TMC is built into the cradle and so don't suffer this issue!

It's very slow to obtain a fix, much slower than other units I have compared it with. The display is clear but not all the info I would like to have on screen is available, you have to choose one or the other.

It's not bad, if it were your first system you may well be happy but it does not compare well with its competitors.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yet on the cheaper models that do not have TMC the accessory TMC is built into the cradle and so don't suffer this issue

Is that the cheaper S range models?

And from Robert,
Quote:
I like (from the limited amount) what I have seen of the S series, but it is to early for me to rush out and buy one

On balance then, I think it looks like another year at least for me hanging on to my N20, which if I get the newer mapping including the Balkans, will serve me perfectly. Wink I shall just have to think of another present suggestion for Christmas.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Quote:
Yet on the cheaper models that do not have TMC the accessory TMC is built into the cradle and so don't suffer this issue

Is that the cheaper S range models?

Yes, only the S90 has it as standard, for all the other 'S' models it's an extra cost option and is part of a TMC Cradle.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
I stand by my earlier post - the S series was developed by the European Navman office after the original New Zealand Office was essentially/effectively disbanded, with the lose of most of the key development staff. The S series is therefore likely to be a ground up rewrite- a new product, not an evolution of of the tested and proven products that came before it.

You shouldn't stand by that post -- it's incorrect.

There was some confusion about the info in press release that S-series is designed in Europe -- that was a reference to industrial design, nothing more. Hardware is still built by Mitac (as were N-series and all 5xx units) and software is still developed in New Zealand. What happened with NZ office is loss of development center that was responsible for 3xx and F devices, and loss of hardware design unit. Main software development team is still there.
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm... so far no one has come out in favour of upgrading from the 530 to the S series ?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AirCooledHeaven wrote:
mmmm... so far no one has come out in favour of upgrading from the 530 to the S series ?

On balance, that would appear correct Crying or Very sad Still your call though....decisions, decisions. My personal feeling at the moment would be to stay with what works for you at the moment, after reading some of the knowledgeable comments above. Let the forum know what you decide.
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On balance, that would appear correct Crying or Very sad Still your call though....decisions, decisions. My personal feeling at the moment would be to stay with what works for you at the moment, after reading some of the knowledgeable comments above. Let the forum know what you decide.

Well that's really dissapointing, I was already seeing the S50 and TMC cradle on my windscreen, but I think I'll have to wait to see if the bugs get fixed. Unfortunately by then the S series will probably be obsolete. Sad

Maybe I should upgrade to an N or F series as the prices on line should start tumbling soon? Time for another thread I think Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: