Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Activating the free Lifetime TM subscription
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Activating the free Lifetime TM subscription

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Activating the free Lifetime TM subscription Reply with quote

I know I'm doing something very stoopid here, but I can't seem to activate the free RAC Lifetime traffic subscription that came with my Nuvi 310d.

When I was in the car and plugged evrything in I was told to visit garmin.com/fmtraffic where I should enter a code which was given on the Nuvi screen.

I've come into work with my Nuvi and my GTM 12 (I have a Mac at home) and gone onto the the garmin site, but all I can do is enter the GTM 12 serial number which takes me to a £60 subscription page.

What am I doing wrong? I can't plug in the GTM 12 here at work as the USB port on the Nuvi is taken up by the USB cable that's powering the Nuvi.

Thanks
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Activation Reply with quote

Hi

I was rather deceived by this activation process. But apparently the Lifetime subscription is already activated, and when it has a GPS signal and receives a traffice signal it will work. Mine took a little time to get going but works perfectly now.

Hope you have some success

David

God gave us the Integer, the rest was devised by man.
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I first plugged everything in it looked as though it was all there - I could see the RAC Lifetime subscripition which when I tried to select I was directed to the garmin website. It certainly looked as though I'd kind of hit a dead end. At this point I unplugged everything.

Did you get this too? Should I just have left everything plugged in?

It's a bit fustrating that you can't plug the GTM12 into the Nuvu without it being plugged into the mains!

Do I need to somehow register the GTM12 first?
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through all the same with GTM 11. Providing you have a signal the thing will work as it is activated.
I spoke to Garmin and you do not have to do anything!!!
On the GTM 11 you get a green light when the unit gets a signal. If you aree not getting the green light you have no signal amd registration is nothing to do with the UK set-up!
My problem was at first a faulty unit and then the need for cannection to external car aerial, Garmin supplied aerials proved useless inside the car!
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try it again this weekend
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted.

Yes, you just plug it in and away you go.

The mistake I made was to follow the manual which tells you to plug it in anf then go to the menu and 'Add' a subscription.
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: GTM12 / Power Supply Reply with quote

Just a quick question regarding power for the Nuvi / GTM12. Can the Nuvi be charged at home from the USB port on a PC or is a stand alone charger required. Also, once the GTM12 is plugged into the Nuvi in a vehicle, does the Nuvi need to be plugged into a 12v socket or does the internal battery provide enough power to run both?

Cheers - Nick
TWHH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Nuvi does charge frm the USB port on your PC/Mac

And No the Traffic info adaptor can't/won't work without you having the Nuvi plugged in to the 12v fag lighter. You HAVE to have the power plugged into the back of the windscreen mount (Which connects into the Nuvi) and then plug the GMT12 into the USB socket on the side. If you try and just plug the GMT12 into the side of teh Nuvi you are told that you need external power before you can plug inthe GMT12.

Bit of pain realy as it means you fill up your car with wires!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: