Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom-Tom II vs Navman 4400
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom-Tom II vs Navman 4400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philoz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Tom-Tom II vs Navman 4400 Reply with quote

Hi

Am trying to decide between a bluetooth receiver and software for use with an Ipaq 5550 and am now down to Navman 4400 vs Tom Tom II. Really turning to you guys to make the decision easier!

1. Best bluetooth reciever?
- Navman appears to be a bit bigger (& longer battery life) but this is against the small size of the Tom-Tom.
- I am presuming they are both interoperable with any software.
Qs.
a) Which is the best receiver to go with?
b) Is either reciever a "better performer"/more sensitive?
c) Am also presuming the new "silver" bundled with the Tom-Tom software is better/same as the previous Emtech? Any performance differences?

2. Navman vs Tomo-Tom software?
- Navman comes with maps for ALL of Europe, but you have to buy these for Tom-Tom separately.
Qs.
a) Does this imply that the Tom-Tom software is better because it is not all "thrown in"?
b) Are there any "special" features that one has over the other?
c) Any preferences from the "coal face" as to which software is more user friendly/better for UK...and Europe.

3. Software for Australia
- I also want a solution for when I am in Australia and notice Tom-Tom don't have software but Navman and Co-Pilot do.
Qs.
a) Should the fact that there is Aussie software from Navman sway me to Navman, or should I just get the software separately for Oz?
b) ie should I go with Tom-Tom for Uk & Europe and then buy the Navman software (using the Tom-Tom receiver) in Oz?

Thanks for all of your help! Confused
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1a) your choice at the end of the day
1b) no, both receivers are about on par with each other
1c) no, Emtac is still a better performer over the TomTom BT GPS

2a) you could look at it that way, or not depending on your outlook of life
2b) software wise, TomTom allows for customisable POI's including speed cameras, Navman does not
2c) more user friendly, and importantly more driver friendly, I would say TomTom is

3a) not really, you can chop and change, but if you are using the same UI then there's less of a learning curve
3b) thats really up to you and budget requirements
Philoz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this Dave...jsut a couple ofother Qs

1. Am swaying to the Tom-tom but only conern is that it is bundled with the Tom-Tom BT GPS rather that the Emtac - am I correct on this?

2. Just one other Q, can you buy the Navman software on its own. Everywhere I look it is bundled?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) that's correct, but if you really wanted to, you could purchase the Emtac BT GPS and TomTom Navigator 2 on their own, you would pay more but you may get the choice you want.

2) you cannot purchase the Navman software on it's own yet. It's only currently bundled with their hardware, but seeing that they have started to sell the hardware on it's own, I doubt it will be too long (3-6 months) before they start selling the software on it's own too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: