Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 5 on Mitac Mio 168...Same as Medion 150 to install..?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 5 on Mitac Mio 168...Same as Medion 150 to install..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony4563
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: TomTom 5 on Mitac Mio 168...Same as Medion 150 to install..? Reply with quote

My Medion PPC150 recently died. I really liked the unit so I've bought another, only this time it's the original model, Mio 168 (Medion, Cybercom and Micromaxx being clones I believe) It doesn't have any GPS software on, so I want to install TomTom 5 again like I did on the old unit. Do I have to update the firmware again to get the bars to show the signal strengh when TT5 is installed? Are they all the same unit just with a different name on?
Cheers
Tony
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found that putting tt5 on a mio it did not need a firmware update.
hope this helps
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
putting tt5 on a mio it did not need a firmware update.

That's right. Just download the free update to 5.21, from the TomTom site, and load your maps from the CD's, you will have to re-activate because you have a different device.

To get the best out of a 168 it's best to make sure you have no programmes running in the background and have all POI's turned off, to reduce clutter, to speed up the screen refresh rate. Also think about gettiing a Kingston 512MB or 1GB SD Ultimate x133 http://www.choicestationery.com/acatalog/Secured_Digital.html(actual read/write speed is 20x compared to the standard cards 4x) as any lag on screen is reduced to virtually zero, providing you have 4 sats or more.

The settings are Other NMEA, Baud rate 4800 on SP2, although I've found the TomTom Cable GPS setting usually shows an extra sat or two.

Remember it will take some time to get a lock first time, could be 30 minutes or more. It's a case of going outside under an unobstructed sky and waiting.

You may know some or all of this but better too much info than not enough eh?. :P

Oh, nearly forgot. If after setting up you find the full postcode search doesn't work, you need to put an empty folder on your SD Card and name it tomtom

Thumbs Up
tony4563
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Just to clear my confusion...

The model I'm getting is the original Mitec MIO 168 model, not a clone. There is no GPS software on the unit, so I'll be installing TT5. After installing TT5 should I get the signal strengh bars showing without doing anything or do I still need to install the R3 firmware like I did on the earlier Medion clone I had? (which did the trick)
dabut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony4563 wrote:
Sorry, Just to clear my confusion...

The model I'm getting is the original Mitec MIO 168 model, not a clone. There is no GPS software on the unit, so I'll be installing TT5. After installing TT5 should I get the signal strengh bars showing without doing anything or do I still need to install the R3 firmware like I did on the earlier Medion clone I had? (which did the trick)

tony
just install the tt5 software and signal meter should work ok as they normally have the updated GPS firmware alrewady installed
tony4563
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew...sorry about the panic attack...Can you tell that I hate doing firmware upgrades! Did you get my address by the way?

Cheers

Tony

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: