Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Accuracy or something else?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Accuracy or something else?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schouten
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: GPS Accuracy or something else? Reply with quote

Since upgrading to CP6 I've noticed that on a journey in Guidance mode if I deviate on to a parallel road (i.e. a rat run) that is within a 100m or so of the planned route CP6 doesn't pick up the change of road and continues to route as if nothing has happened unless I have a significant change of direction.

I use the same routes regularly and CP5 always picked up the change quickly. I've calibrated the GPS (Mio 168) but this makes no difference.

Any ideas please?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is the same issue, but I sometimes find that CP 6 is slow to recalculate when I deviate from the route it has set. Also, there is sometimes a significant lag between the actual position and that shown on the CP 6 screen, whether I have re-routed or not. It is as if there is some kind of bottleneck in the information processing.

These have been intermittent issues for me, and they occur so infrequently that I have not before highlighted them myself.

I don't think that these are hardware-related problems as I too found that CP 5 recalculated quickly every time, and I am using the same PDA and receivers as with CP 5 (plus a new receiver).
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
SupraCoPilot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this as well. CP5 used to be almost instant to react (5 seconds or so) if I deviated from the route, but CP6 seems to take about 30 seconds to respond and continues to show that I am still on the route until then.

I wonder if ALK just started with CP5 then added loads more code to the program to make CP6, instead of starting from scratch. Probably a lot easier and cheaper to do the former rather than the latter. This will always mean slower processing cos it has to run a bigger program. MS Windows gets away with the same because PC performance and capacity has rocketed to absorb the hugely inflated operating system, but PDA's running a few Mbs of RAM are going to notice a difference.

Garmin Nuvi 255WT
Mio 168
CoPilot 6.0.4.110
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In view of Supracopilot's discussion of a general slowness, compared with CP 5, of CP 6's recalculation, I should make it clear that I was referring earlier to an occasional, much more significant, delay over and above the general slowness.

By the way, although I haven't timed any of this, and although I agree that CP 6 is generally slower, I doubt that the usual recalculation time is anywhere 30 seconds. That is the sort of delay that I get with the occasional lags.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... on my hardware, that is.
rmsa786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these posts regarding problems with CP6 are from a good few months back. I just got mine last week and the issues are still there...shudv stuck with TT Go... Also conflicting advice on the website. Not very professional.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the advice that is provided by forum members isnt profesional advice its provided free by people who are using the products. and each persons veiw of one piece software what is a problem for one person might not be for someone else

as yet we havent had a version of copilot pocetpc to test we did do a reveiw of the smartphone version of the software

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually thinking that rmsa786 meant that the information on the ALK website was conflicting. Having read what Alix776 wrote, perhaps not??
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought he on about here thats why i put what i did

device Lumia 950 xl
rmsa786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
I was actually thinking that rmsa786 meant that the information on the ALK website was conflicting. Having read what Alix776 wrote, perhaps not??
Im talking about the ALK website guys.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed sorry got the wrong end of the stick then Embarassed

device Lumia 950 xl
rmsa786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed sorry got the wrong end of the stick then Embarassed
To be honest, this is the only site I trust for proper info on products. Ive been using it for a long time and have learnt more things than what the manufacturers can tell u...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmsa786 wrote:
To be honest, this is the only site I trust for proper info on products.

I brought CoPilot 5 which got a glowing review on this website and it turned out to be rubbish so don't trust everything you read here. Wink
rmsa786
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
rmsa786 wrote:
To be honest, this is the only site I trust for proper info on products.

I brought CoPilot 5 which got a glowing review on this website and it turned out to be rubbish so don't trust everything you read here. Wink
I'd check it out for myself before I bought anything so that I only have myself to blame afterwards, wouldnt buy anything from reading a review... I was actually talking about things like setting up, tweaks etc.
redhorse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To return to Eltel's original comment. I noticed on a recent journey that CP6 was continuing to update my progress along a route while I was in a tunnel, and clearly not receiving any GPS signal. I suspect the GPS updates are not as frequent as they were on CP5, but it's not visible to the user as CP6 extrapolates position from time elapsed and last recorded speed to update the screen plot between GPS fixes.

CP6 6.0.0.68
Pocket PC 4.20.0 Mio168

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: