Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Upgrading a NAVMAN 3400 sleeve to NAVMAN 3450
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading a NAVMAN 3400 sleeve to NAVMAN 3450

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baggaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Upgrading a NAVMAN 3400 sleeve to NAVMAN 3450 Reply with quote

Has anyone upgraded from a 3400 to 3450? Is it worth it for fixing the TTFF times for both hot and cold? If so does anyone know whether NAVMAN do an upgrade policy as I purchased mine in May this year. Overall I ok with my first expereinces of Pocket GPS, but do get frustrated when I get no signals and the routing leaves me not knowing where to go.....
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of difference in cold fix times when upgrading to the 3450, the 3450 is much much better. There is no upgrade path though! :x
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the memory/hard drive bag between the sleeve and IPAQ? Makes a massive difference to my satellites reception/TTFF times.
baggaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Memory/Hard drive bags Reply with quote

I have tried this thing with the memory and hard drive bags. With one, two and three bags plus with and without aluminium. They all do not appear to do anything for me.

I have a standard journey from Kent to Docklands where I get on average four fixed satellites. I will always lose the signal three times. I get the same behavious with or without the bags

So I do not think that they work

8O
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm OK, what car do you drive? Does it have one of them heated front windscreens?

I used to suffer the symptons you describe some days but with the memory bag between IPAQ and Navman I have a significantly improved reception.

Where in kent are you? I am also in Kent, maybe we could compare our Navmans to see if yours is faulty in some way.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anti-static bag fix does not really improve the sat reception, it helps the gps fix quicker!, but some have noticed marginal improvements in reception, me being one of them

hope this helps Smile
sfi1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by navman a while ago that the receiver (3450) could be bought for £169 as an upgrade. Suggest that you contact them.

A question for dave - you state that the reception (3450) is much better than the 3400 but how does it compare to the 4400. Does it give comparable results to the bluetooth units. For those of us without bluetooth it could be the answer (as long as it's much better than the 3400). Is anybody using a 3450 now that had a 3400 before ?
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are wrong there onbashi, before your post I used to get 3/4/5 satellites, now I get 6 to 10. Thats a big improvement, in my book. I think the speed to fix is improved because there are more sats for the Navman saftware to derive its location from.
tcs17_tim
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the post about the memory bags, I mean....... Embarassed
baggaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Memory and Hard disk bags Reply with quote

I drive a Volvo V70. I can only say that the I have not noticed any benefit by adding the bags. My first fix can sometimes take longer than 5 minutes which is clearly silly!! I have to make excuses to my neighbours who must think I am mad....

Any how I will try one more time and see if I can get an improved first fix and improvments in the number of satellites
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I thought up the idea of placing an EMF blocking material in between the ipaq and the sleeve I tested it vastly and noticed mixed results,

firstly, I did mention that a marginal increase of reception had been noticed by a few people, but the biggest improvements have been that of fix times, myself and many others have noticed between 10-25% faster fix times and very occasionally an increase of sats in view.

finally, I think that you need to test the quick fix a little more before you assume that someone is wrong, it is very difficult to test if reception is improved due to the environmental surroundings as you may have noticed simply by acquiring a poor fix in an area one day and a good fix in the same place the next day.

This quick fix will not sort out the problem completely, it is merely a way of improving the performance of a poorly built receiver.

It wont please everyone!

Thanks.....
baggaa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: More bags Reply with quote

Obashie not saying you are wrong, just that I have tried it and not found any improvement in the first fix time.

I just wish I had found this forum before buying the silly thing. What bugs me most is that I purchased it in May this year and had a chance to return it and get my money back at the time.

Anyhow what do they say about being wiser after the event.

I am in the software game and find the Navman silence interesting.
gambitgander
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS 3450 sleeve-only is available from www.navcity.co.uk. It is basically a GPS 3450 without any navigation software

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: