Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GO
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: TomTom GO Reply with quote

Hi forum,

I joined and subscribed last week to GPS so I could keep up with the news and update my Tomtom go with the latest speed cameras.
I followed the instructions on screen to dowload to my computer the 5.4xx version. First I backed up my Tomtom.
Then, Ignoring the files to avoid, I copied and pasted the relevant segments into my tom tom go.
1mb was added to its memory.
What I still am unsure about is: The advice is to overwrite and all is updated. I have used my tomtom since the download and all works ok.
What I am not sure of is did I update the old speed camera data to the new?
Is there a way of checking if it worked - say by looking at a new camera at a given point which would not have been there before?

I know the tom tom memory went up by 1 mb - is this about right the last camera update/

Thanks you guys !!

Rob
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom GO Reply with quote

robrob wrote:
1mb was added to its memory.

The PocketGPS Camera Files takes up just over 300KB.Confused If the you are adding 1MB then it suggests that you are not updating, but adding Files.
robrob wrote:
What I still am unsure about is: The advice is to overwrite and all is updated. I have used my tomtom since the download and all works ok.

You will only 'overwrite' if you had previously had the same Database Files on the Device.
robrob wrote:
What I am not sure of is did I update the old speed camera data to the new?
Is there a way of checking if it worked

Check the dates on the OV2 Files. They should show as 29/05/2006.
robrob wrote:
I know the tom tom memory went up by 1 mb - is this about right the last camera update

The amount of SD Card Storage Memory should not vary by more than a few KB's, if updating the Files monthly. See first answer.

Did you have the TomTom Cameras on before?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
robrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: TomTomGo Reply with quote

Dear Richard,
Thanks for your pick up of my enquiry.
This is what I downloaded to update my TomtomGo which incidentallyalready had a camera download onto the memory card - but was about a year out of date:

Speed cams single file on 30.5.06
Pocketgpsuk sc Bmp 1KB
&
PocketUkScOV2 File
306KB
Zip as 117kb
on 30.5.06

I can see that the OV2 file of 306KB appears as the file you mention and looks like the right one I downloaded.
The 1KB file perhaps was not needed?

But, from these 2 downloads only, I have added 1mb to my Tomtom Go.
I am not sure how from the above file sizes.

Maybe If I keep tojust the OV2" download in the future and watch how much I update to my TomtomGo memory card , I should see the additional 306KB only and assume all's well and the new cameras have overwtitten?

Thanks everso much

Rob.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTomGo Reply with quote

robrob wrote:
TomtomGo which incidentallyalready had a camera download onto the memory card - but was about a year out of date:

Was it the TomTom camera database or the PocketGPS one?

robrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Richard,
it was the PocketGPS one for tomtom go version 5.4xx

Hope this is making some sense to you

Regards
Rob
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robrob wrote:
Hope this is making some sense to you

How many OV2 Files have you got in the Map Folder? How many relate to Camera Database?

Explorer might have rounded up the 300KB to a 1MB.Confused

robrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again richard and thanks for your continued support.
I am sorry but i do not understand how to check upon your last question. Please elaborate what i do and where?
Thanks
Rob
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each camera File has an OV2 and a BMP. Have you only the 1 OV2 File for PocketGPS Cameras?

Connect the GO to the PC and, with Explorer, check the number of Files with OV2 extensions.

robrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Richard,
Plugged in TomTom 5.420 Go to computer and can now see the following in F drive:

OV2Bmp File 238KB = 12 Files created 5.11.05

This appears as the only OV2!!??

The rest of the files in my TomTom are:GPL, GB,ITN, Major Roads, Tomtom CFG,AutoRun, Bootex,Connect2Internet,Current Map, DAN VIF, DATA 00 CHK, & 2,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,18,19,20,21,22,24, Datachk, ENGF VIF, ENGIF VIF, ENGM.VIF ,EURO VIF ,GB, GB, Install Bif,Nprm Vif,RCO Vif, readme,splash, system,temporary,ITI,Tomtom, Tomtomaid,Tomtomtt Vif, TTGO.Bif, TT system, VLA vif, VStransam.vif

So, apart from all that's in the memory, it would appear I still have the old version and the new is not updated?
What do I do now?

My TOmTom says it has 30mb RAM & free = 7.3mb.
This is another query as the blue kingston chip says 512 MB?

Thanks Richard

Rob
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robrob wrote:
Plugged in TomTom 5.420 Go to computer and can now see the following in F drive:

OV2Bmp File 238KB = 12 Files created 5.11.05

This appears as the only OV2!!??

It looks as if you have an old copy of the database. You say it's the only OV2 File, so I can only assume that the complete Folder has been Copied, not the Files. Also the Files should be in the Map Folder.

robrob wrote:
The rest of the files in my TomTom are:GPL, GB,ITN, Major Roads, Tomtom CFG,AutoRun, Bootex,Connect2Internet,Current Map, DAN VIF, DATA 00 CHK, & 2,4,5,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,18,19,20,21,22,24, Datachk, ENGF VIF, ENGIF VIF, ENGM.VIF ,EURO VIF ,GB, GB, Install Bif,Nprm Vif,RCO Vif, readme,splash, system,temporary,ITI,Tomtom, Tomtomaid,Tomtomtt Vif, TTGO.Bif, TT system, VLA vif, VStransam.vif

You seem to have a lot of Voice Files Installed. Do you need them all?

You also seem to have a lot of debris, some of which I can't recognise.

robrob wrote:
My TOmTom says it has 30mb RAM & free = 7.3mb.
This is another query as the blue kingston chip says 512 MB?

These are 2 different things. The RAM is what is built into the Device and you have no control over it. When the GO Boots Up after a Reset this is where the program is installed.

The SD Card is used in a similar way to the Hard Drive on the PC. It holds all the Data that the Device needs to Boot Up and then do it's job.

robrob wrote:
What do I do now?

First a bit of information. Which GO have you got?

Did you upgrade to V5 Maps last year? Did you have a new SD Card or are you still using the V3xx Maps.

robrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi richard,
thanks for your replies.
My TomTom was bought on E bay and I believe it's a 300 model? It came with a Tomtom go SD card 128mb.
I upgraded to a new Kingston SD Card 512mb again from E bay which incorporates speed cameras as at Nov05 and a variety of voices.
I would say that the seller of the above 512 SD card updated at the time to include speed cameras which was a bonus to the Sat Nav's at the time and I can see it says App 5.420 GB map v390 GPS v1.21 Boot 3.30.

So if possible Richard I now need a "fools guide" to overwrite the new speed cameras. Is this still possible? Question
Thanks again

Rob
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has V390 Maps it won't be a 300, it will be a Classic. Did you get a Product Code for the Map? Did you get a CD with it?

Do you still have the 128MB SD Card? Does it work in the GO?

If Yes, it's fairly easy.

Do you want to keep the Voices, that are on the larger card? If Yes, copy the dataxx.chk and VIF Files to a Folder (create 1 specially for the TT on the PC), so that you can use them later on.

If you want only the TT Voices, it's even easier.

If you have a Card Reader it's quicker to use that.;)

If you can answer these questions first (a lot I know), it will help to give a straight forward answer.;)

robrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,
Thanks for your ongoing help.
I still have the old SD card and disc but prefer to keep the new SD card which I now have without a disc.
My instructions and advice received for setting up the new SD card to replace my old was :
1 in 10 units require an Activation code.
The Product code is on the back sleeve of the Tomtom Go Original Disc.
There is a Device code flashing on the Tomtom screen.AK3AJ...
Now Insert your new SD card into TomtomGo. The unit will say needs activation. A code will appear in the format of 2 sets of 5 letters and numbers - ie: AK3AJ...
Now go to www.ttcode.com and click on UK flag and then input your Product code from rear of Disc sleeve. Input your device code, You will then receive an Activation code for your unit, finally press activate on your Tomtom Go & enter this code. Set up is now complete.

Also Richard I copied as you suggested:
21 DataChks Files totalling 13.1MB from my Tomtom Go to a new computer File
5 VIFS totalling 20KB to the same computer file ie: Tomtt Vif, Rco Vif,UStransam Vif, VLA Vif, Norm Vif.

(Don't know if I need to search for and add the missing ENGF VIF, ENGIF VIF, ENGM.VIF ,EURO VIF Nprm Vif,RCO Vif's which I had mentioned above on my previous post? - What are they? Are these important?)
Finally, I do not have a card reader.

Look forward to your reply and hope this info helps.

Regards
Rob
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engf and engm VIF Files are the TT English Voice Info Files, each VIF goes with a dataxx File. If you have 21 dataxx.chk Files you should have 21 VIF Files. Do you need that many?

You stated that you had a CD with the Product Code on it, so am assuming this is an Installation CD with the 390 Map on it.

With the GO connected to the PC, Right Click the TT Drive and Choose Format. This will wipe everything off the GO. Do it as a FULL Format, not Quick.

Decide which Version of TT you want to use (they are all on my Webspace if you want to Download from there), and install on the GO.

Put the CD in the PC and run the Setup but only Install the Map(s). This will be Great Britain and Major Roads of Europe.

You also have the option to Install Extra TT Voices. (These are the Standard Multi-Language Voices of TT)

DO NOT run the Install Application Option.

You will now have a GO with V5xx Application and V390 Maps.

Disconnect from the PC and power up the GO. You should be asked for the Activation Code. If you had made a note of it previously, use that.

If you didn't, or can't find it, use the Device Code from the GO and the number on the back of the CD to get the Activation from www.ttcode.com and complete the activation.

When the Device is working, do a Full Backup to the PC so that you can restore, should you need, to a working unit.

If you want to use any of the 21 voices, decide which you want and copy them back to the GO.

I think I've covered everything. If in doubt, shout.;)

robrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
Thanks for your last post - I think !8O

I think have understood correctly but, just to clarify.
My main question was can I download the latest speed cameras to my existing Tomtom Go set up.
It seems that you are now suggesting wiping and starting afresh?
Is this because my current set up is faulty?
Where is your webspace you mention?
Remember I did try and overwrite the latest cameras and nothing has appeared. Why was this?
Thanks
R

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: