Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 case colour
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 case colour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 case colour Reply with quote

Anyone know if the blue surround of the i3 case can be changed? Two reasons really....

1) It's a bit wishy-washy as colours go and does not look particularly high class.

2) The blue contrasts with all the usual car dashboard stuff and just highlights it to potential theifs (yes I do remove it each time I stop).

Personally I would like it black like the rest of the case but I know many of you folks will say you like the blue (at least it's not the i2 green!).
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin i3 case colour Reply with quote

Marty-Party wrote:
Anyone know if the blue surround of the i3 case can be changed? Two reasons really....

1) It's a bit wishy-washy as colours go and does not look particularly high class.

2) The blue contrasts with all the usual car dashboard stuff and just highlights it to potential theifs (yes I do remove it each time I stop).

Personally I would like it black like the rest of the case but I know many of you folks will say you like the blue (at least it's not the i2 green!).

I don't believe it can be changed (odds on someone will now say it can ) I would suggest masking all the area you don't want to change colour and obtaining a spray paint that will attach to plastic and make it suit your requirements .
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following your suggestion, I have found that the front bezel can be removed very easily if you have a small torx style screwdriver (the same size used to dismantle mobile phones). 4 screws can be accessed from the rear of the i3 and the front bezel (blue and black bit) comes of fairly easily.

I fully accept that my warranty is now void and I would not suggest anyone follows my example, but ......

My i3 now has a subtle charcoal black colour which blends in very nicely with my dashboard. Apart from looking rather tasteful, I reckon security is better. Located quite low on the dash means it's now difficult to spot with a quick glance through the window. Obvously I still remove it when parked but I like the stealth value it now has.

I'll try and post some pics later this week.
nudda
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent ... looking forward to those pictures !!
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marty -party said,

Quote:
4 screws can be accessed from the rear of the i3 and the front bezel (blue and black bit) comes of fairly easily.

Surely there must be an easier way than dismantling the i3, couldnt you mask it off and use a suitable paint and small paintbrush?

For my next project Jumping With Joy maybe!!

regards....Dil

Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you could mask it all off but I reckon it's quicker to unscrew the front. Obviously, I still had to mask off the outer screen with a square of masking tape.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick word of warning before someone starts to spray the front panel, MAKE SURE the paint will not MELT the plastic, if it does (most automotive products will do this - i.e. ruin your device) or if your not too sure leave it alone - If you really want to do it, go and find a local model shop (aircraft, boats etc) and seek advice. The thoughts of a melted i3 facia Crying or Very sad - Mike
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right Mike, I should have said that you need Airfix type paint.

I'm not very good at taking pictures, the unit looks much better in the flesh. Note the scratch in the top left corner was there before the paint was applied ( I dropped the i3 a few months ago ).

I have also cleaned the screen since taking this picture!
paulyoung666
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above about the paint , model shops sell small spray cans of the stuff , i would do mine but it is under warranty Crying or Very sad , having said that , when you take it apart do you disturb any anti tamper stickers or not ????? Question
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty-Party wrote:
Quite right Mike, I should have said that you need Airfix type paint.

I'm not very good at taking pictures, the unit looks much better in the flesh. Note the scratch in the top left corner was there before the paint was applied ( I dropped the i3 a few months ago ).

I have also cleaned the screen since taking this picture!

Well done Clap it looks very smart and as you original said fullfills your reason for changing, you may have given Garmin another money making opertunity with different coloured facia's. Will you be trying body filler / t- cut to sort out your scratches Smile

First prize for customised facia come on who can now do better Exclamation
Spenk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, someone will be suggesting go faster strips and body kits next Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: