Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 910 & In Car Temps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 910 & In Car Temps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eakucera00
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: TomTom 910 & In Car Temps Reply with quote

I know the manual says not to leave the TT in your vehicle when not in use and it also states not to expose it to extreme high or low temperatures. Is there anyone out there like me that doesn't want to remove the TT everytime they leave there vehicle. Generally i would like to leave it in my vehicle on the dash. But obviously while in the mall or a movie I would put it in my glove box or my center storage compartment. Is this gonna be a problem.?

On a side note, is the TT 910 available yet? i see lots of pre-orders but i notice some people already have a 910. where can i get one.?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never leave sat nav equipment in the car, the low lifes will break in just to see if its in the glove box, take it with you at all times.

The 910 has been avail for around four weeks from PC World, Maplins etc although I am not too sure who is carrying stock at the moment, check out their web sites, I know my local Blackpool Maplins had stock earlier in the week - Mike
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would put it in my glove box or my center storage compartment
Not a good idea. Try leaving your car in the sun, when we eventually get some, then check the temperature in the car and glove box. You'll be surprised at the difference.

Take mikealder's advice.

But if you must leave it in the car I would suggest under your front seat where it will be cooler.
eakucera00
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be difficult or make any enemies here but setting aside the issue of theft. Which component is most affected by the heat? with the increase in stereos with LCDs and memory readers and bluetooth and hard-drives, obviously theses units remain in the car at all times with no damage from heat and cold. My guess is that the Hard drive is the most sensitive to heat and vibration/shock.

I was hoping to use the TT everyday as a handsfree Bluetooth interface for my cell phone. and as a GPS for a couple of trips per month. Obviously I don't want to dis-mout the 910 at each stop. especially hearing the difficulty of the mount.

I appreciate everyones feedback. Keep the opinions and experience coming.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen another post, which I can't find at the moment, where it was said, insurance claims on stolen Sat Navs are refused unless the unit is permanently wired in. It may be best to check with your insurance company what their policy is and then decide which is best for you.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your language I'm guessing you're in the USA where car crime, although it happens, is less of an issue.

If you are resident in the UK I really wouldn't leave it in the car as it will GO (pardon the pun Wink )

IMHO it's your decision if you want to leave it in the car anyway - once you've had it stolen once you won't leave it in there again.

Onto your question.....

From my experience with my GO in europe and my Garmins all over the place.......

when the GO overheats it just will not switch on and if it is on it will switch itself off and will not switch on again until it has reached a more reasonable temperature.

So in the end I would advise you to follow Mike's advice and pop it under your front seat anyway.... if only to stop it from overheating.

Chris
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on the basis that provided the device and mount are out of sight, there is no increased risk (beyond random break-ins) from leaving it in the car. I'd say that visibility is 99% of the risk of theft from vehicles. I also remove it before I get to where I am parking, and may be watched by some loitering scumbag.

I do take the point about choosing a cooler place in hot weather, but the TT is simply not suitable for carrying in a pocket.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also bear in mind that recent reports have reviled that whilst the Sat Nav maybe hidden or even in the house, thieves are looking for cars with the tell-tale sucker marks on the windscreen to show a Sat Nav HAS been used and will then break in to see if it's in the car. Once removed clean the windscreen where is was attached.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or keep your windscreen nice and dirty so nobody can see the sucker marks Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... or keep your windscreen nice and dirty so nobody can see the sucker marks

As someone who is affected by Sutton Waters Drought order, effective today (looks out of windows, sees rain again, sighs, thinks about the 90 litres a day PER HOUSEHOLD they loose in leaks, sighs again) i am now legally obliged to keep my car dirty so that might be a reality.

Do you think a periscope out of the sun roof will work or can is my i3 sufficiently accurate to guide me with a filthy windscreen?
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
As someone who is affected by Sutton Waters Drought order, effective today (looks out of windows, sees rain again, sighs, thinks about the 90 litres a day PER HOUSEHOLD they loose in leaks, sighs again) i am now legally obliged to keep my car dirty so that might be a reality.

It is indeed one of the wettest droughts we've ever had Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: