Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi interface
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi interface
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simkna
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Nuvi interface Reply with quote

I am currently a Tomtom user on a PDA (and have been since Version 2).
I want to buy a new unit with built-in bluetooth kit, and really like the size of the Nuvi compared with the TT x10, so the Nuvi 360 would be just the ticket.
I had a quick play with a 300 in Curries last night, but couldn't get to grips with the menu. How do you navigate to a postcode? Do you have to enter a county before a town name? As soon as I said "navigate to" it asked me for a county - what if I don't know the county?
Can anyone with experience of TT and Nuvi please give me their thoughts on the relative advantages, disadvantages and usability of the two.

Thanks

Si.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simkna, I think you need an eye test Wink
The Nuvi asks for "COUNTRY" not "County". As soon as you touch E and N it will go to England andthen asks for city or post code and search all where you enter street number followed by street etc.
I have used the NUVI for a short time now including on th continent and I'm very impressed ! It suits my life style and work and slips in my shirt or a jacket pocket for street use when walking.
See my comment elsewhere on here and at the "sticky" near the top of the page on MikeB Garmin Nuvi Review.
I'm a Garmin fan from boating days, Tom Tom has some very good points but I have more faith in the build and hardware of Garmin.
Each to their own and I know many prefer TT.
Check out www.savastore.com for prices, and on availability of the NUVI 360 that they say is due within two weeks
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi interface Reply with quote

simkna wrote:
I am currently a Tomtom user on a PDA (and have been since Version 2).
I want to buy a new unit with built-in bluetooth kit, and really like the size of the Nuvi compared with the TT x10, so the Nuvi 360 would be just the ticket.
I had a quick play with a 300 in Curries last night, but couldn't get to grips with the menu. How do you navigate to a postcode? Do you have to enter a county before a town name? As soon as I said "navigate to" it asked me for a county - what if I don't know the county?
Can anyone with experience of TT and Nuvi please give me their thoughts on the relative advantages, disadvantages and usability of the two.

Well I assume that if you are planning to go somewhere you would know which country it is in :D

I have a TT 510 but I'm also very interested in the nuvi 360 and how the two compare (at least for the 300/350 as I know the 360 isn't out yet). The handsfree on the TT x10 is unimpressive, and the nuvi does look a much more portable device.
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:
simkna, I think you need an eye test Wink
The Nuvi asks for "COUNTRY" not "County

I misread that. I thought it was a strange question!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi interface Reply with quote

PatC wrote:

Well I assume that if you are planning to go somewhere you would know which country it is in :D

Yes, but Garmin's postcode search does not always know!..There are PC's in England that it can't find unless you select Wales because its just over the border accross the River Wye.

Dave
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just pulled my nuvi out of my shirt pocket and if you enter Wales or Scotland it seems to know they exist Laughing
And I've just checked my friends out of the way Welsh farm and hey presto even that is there even though the post code changed not to long ago.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps.
Patc.
www.savastore.com has nuvi 360 priced at £449.99 available in 1-2 weeks.
350 is great for me as I don't need the blue tooth set-up.
simkna
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!! How embarassing. Embarassed

That's good to hear guys. Off to book myself in for an eye test now... 8O

Si.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simkna.
Specsavers are very good and the money you save can go towards your new Satnav Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
And don't forget the ads, you will be well stylish like me Rolling Eyes
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having used TomTom products for many years, I've just returned my GO 910 due to the poor routing.

I used to own a Garmin unit many years ago, I'm also interested in the Nuvi 350/360 but finding it very difficult to justify the price. The StreetPilot 510D includes TMC and in comparison to the Nuvi is £200 cheaper.

I love the Nuvi's size, but everything is an extra cost, TMC extra, the Travel Packs are extra and the translation is extra. The 510D includes all the Nuvi functionallity less the travel & size feature.

Will I regret getting the 510D or should I buy the Nuvi 350? I don't need the bluetooth which adds a big price premium to the 360.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Nuvi 350 announces traffic incidents when used with the TMC receiver.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Garmin Brochure
"Traffic services available with optional GTm 10FM TMC traffic receiver"
If that helps!
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedcam.
What is a Street Pilot 510D ? It is not in Garmins brochure and can't find any where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detail from Garmin as follow -

Steering clear of traffic tie-ups just got easier

When it comes to avoiding traffic jams and bottlenecks, good decisions start with good information. And that's where Garmin's GTM 10 traffic receiver can make a quantum difference in any driver's quality of life.

The GTM 10 is a small FM-band traffic receiver that connects inbetween your car stereo and antenna to provide real-time Traffic Message Channel (TMC) data to compatible Garmin GPS navigation products—which then depict and identify problem areas on their moving-map displays. Available in a fast-growing number of cities throughout North America and Europe, this TMC data gives prompt, accurate notification of accidents, road construction, police, or emergency action, etc.—so drivers can visually monitor traffic flow and, if necessary, select an alternate route.

The TMC traffic alerting system works on an FM sideband signal which utilizes RDS (Radio Data Service) technology. Digitized and coded real-time traffic broadcasts are received via a "silent" FM data channel—which means that drivers can still listen to music or news programming on their car radios, without interference from the incoming FM traffic data transmissions. In most areas, depending on the service provider, TMC traffic broadcasts are continuous—there's no waiting for scheduled traffic news updates or random alerts. With the GTM 10, you see traffic developments in real-time, as they happen, so you can make the right decision sooner. The system will alert you when a traffic problem is on your route and propose an alternate route to avoid the incident.

The Garmin GTM 10. If getting stuck in traffic is not your idea of fun, this is the technology for you.

Subscription Information

In the U.S.: The GTM 10 traffic receiver comes preloaded with a 15-month trial subscription to Clear Channel TMC. To continue the service, a one-year subscription is $60.00.

In continental Europe: Basic TMC data is a free public service, accessible through a number of providers.

In Great Britain: The GTM 10 traffic receiver comes preloaded with a lifetime subscription to TrafficMaster, the cost of which is included in the price of the unit.

About Traffic services

Traffic services are available only in select cities where RDS-TMC coverage exists. A subscription may be required to enable traffic capability.

You can extend your current service if your trial subscription has ended or is about to expire, or you can purchase a service plan for an additional area. Visit the FM TMC Traffic Service page for further information.

Garmin part number: 010-00396-10

Suggested Retail Price:
$214.27 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

Expected Availability:
Now Shipping

GTM 10 Features: FM-band traffic receiver (professional installation recommended)
Connects between automobile radio and antenna
Provides real-time traffic information to compatible Garmin GPS car navigators
Helps users avoid traffic tie-ups
Graphical map symbol reference
PatC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cantgetlost wrote:

www.savastore.com has nuvi 360 priced at £449.99 available in 1-2 weeks.

Thanks - I see that Expansys and others are advertising the nuvi 360 as in stock now. But I won't be rushing into this, I will wait for a review and hopefully feedback here on how well they perform - particularly the handsfree.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: