Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Extending iPAQ battery life for walking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Extending iPAQ battery life for walking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Extending iPAQ battery life for walking Reply with quote

Just thought I'd ask about 2 different options for extending battery life on my iPAQ 5550 for when I want to go out walking with Fugawi. I can get up to about 3-4 hours off the built in battery if I don't use backlighting at all, but it's touch and go. I want to get up to about 6 hours, which is then comparable to the life of the BT GPS recevier. Note that I also want to add CF capability to the PDA, but wouldn't need to use it when out walking.

Most readliy available options seem to be:

1. Carry a 'battery extender' with 4 NiMH AAs in it, and plug in when iPAQ's own battery is getting critical. Buy a separate CF jacket for when I want to read the CFs from my camera.

2. Buy a CF jacket that has extra battery built in (e.g. NexiPak Dual CF and PowerPak). However these look quite bulky to be carrying on a walk.

Does anyone have any experiences of either, in terms of:
- size and portability
- how much extended battery life can be achieved

Thanks,
Paul
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you can get some "Battery Saver" type software that can switch off the screen without switching off the IPAQ. Then you could do that when not actually looking at it (as presumably you are watching where you are walking and not staring at the pretty moving dot on the map!) and then just press the button or whatever to bring the display back up when you want it.

I stand ready to be corrected, though.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think option 1 would be the best option. It's not the most attractive and it will mean that you have a cable coming out from a battery pack to your iPAQ, but it will give you around 3 complete charges of your iPAQ extending the battery life by 3 more times! So if you're getting min of 3 hours out of it now, then you should then get around 12 hours :D

For a more compact setup then the external sleeve would be good, but I don't think you'll get as many hours as a battery pack, and the beauty of it is most coats have tons of little pockets that are easily big enough on the sleeves to place 4xAA batteries in as spares, so there's no reason why you couldn't go for 24 hours.

If you went for the battery pack and you wanted a more rugged PPC then using an Otter Armor box like the 3600 would be good, and you could easily place the battery pack under the iPAQ.

We've got reviews on both the AA battery pack and the Armor 3600 on the site.
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Dave. Very helpful advice!

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: