Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sorry, some (probably very) dumb i3 questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry, some (probably very) dumb i3 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trickeey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Sorry, some (probably very) dumb i3 questions Reply with quote

Hi all, Ive had my i3 for a couple of weeks now and Ive been all through the forums but theres still a couple of questions I cant find answers to.

1, I was expecting to find the map software on the cd that came with the i3 but the disc only has drivers on it. I assume the maps are stored on the sd card if so how do I restore them in the event of a card problem.

2, I've yet to let the i3 make friends with my sometimes grumpy pc. The label on the usb cable says install the drivers first then connect the i3 but as soon as the software starts and before anything has been installed it says connect the i3. Is that right ? (Windows ME)

3, Should I ignore everything in point 2 above and just follow MELennium's Dummies Guide ?

4, Can I stop the firmware being updated ? All these 2.9 stories Ive read have made me wary.

5, If Im driving in map mode. i.e. not navigating. Can I get nearby POI icons displayed on the screen like petrol stations near where I am rather than going through the menus then selecting one then looking on the map then choosing another and so on.

Sorry if these are questions are answered else where but I cant find them. The i3 is a great bit of kit and I really dont want to mess it up.

Thanks
Trickeey

Cheers
Trickeey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry just thought of another.

How do I find out what map version I have ?

Thanks again.

Trickeey
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your questions.

1) I think it would have to go back to Garmin, I have not heard of many problems with the cards though so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2)&3) MElenniums guide works, but I did not have a CD with my i3, I have XP and I think the driver is already there.

4) You do not have to update the firmware. I have been running 2.9 since it came out and have not had any problems. You can also use web updater to go backwards if you want a change it back to 2.7.

5) No

6) On the i3 menu go to settings - map - map source and that will give you the map version.

Nick.
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Sorry, some (probably very) dumb i3 questions Reply with quote

Trickeey wrote:
Hi all, Ive had my i3 for a couple of weeks now and Ive been all through the forums but theres still a couple of questions I cant find answers to.

1, I was expecting to find the map software on the cd that came with the i3 but the disc only has drivers on it. I assume the maps are stored on the sd card if so how do I restore them in the event of a card problem.

The only way is with a card reader and saving to your computer, in the event of problems with your card you would write back to the card. Making a copy to another card will not work on the I3.

2, I've yet to let the i3 make friends with my sometimes grumpy pc. The label on the usb cable says install the drivers first then connect the i3 but as soon as the software starts and before anything has been installed it says connect the i3. Is that right ? (Windows ME)

Just follow what the installation says from memory it all works ok.

3, Should I ignore everything in point 2 above and just follow MELennium's Dummies Guide ?

Just follow above instruction

4, Can I stop the firmware being updated ? All these 2.9 stories Ive read have made me wary.

Updating is at your discretion update / downgrade as you like.

5, If Im driving in map mode. i.e. not navigating. Can I get nearby POI icons displayed on the screen like petrol stations near where I am rather than going through the menus then selecting one then looking on the map then choosing another and so on.

Fraid not only favorites are displayed or if you select one of the poi's as a destination.

Sorry if these are questions are answered else where but I cant find them. The i3 is a great bit of kit and I really dont want to mess it up.

Use the forum search facility as you quite righty say all are answered within the group.

Timber. Thumbs Up Cheers
Trickeey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks timber and Nickwolf that clears a lot of stuff up, ta :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: