Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket PC 2003, Is It Worth It?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket PC 2003, Is It Worth It?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Pocket PC 2003, Is It Worth It? Reply with quote

I know there are lots of benefits and bugs with ppc 2003, but are they actually worth the hassle for an average GPS user?

Will it get to the stage where ppc 2003 is required for all new gps software to work or is ppc 2002 safe for a while?

Have all the bugs been ironed out yet?

Thanks...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer will probably be yes, there will come a time when only XScale processors are supported, but I don't think we're talking months or weeks here, more like a year possibly.

Most applications aren't supported on Windows CE3 anymore, and I suspect there will come a time where PPC2002 won't be supported, but I think that's a long while off yet.

Some software will continue to support PPC2002. Take TomTom for instance, I haven't tried TTN2, but TTN1 worked perfectly well on my old Casio E125 running a MIPS processor. I think TTN2 will work too.

There will be a phase going forward where some software will break working on older devices, purely because companies adapt to newer products, and the majority of the PPC's they'll be testing on will be the latest ones.

There really aren't any bugs in WM2003, it's mainly how older software isn't 100% compatible. These software are being modified to work. The only real bug I'd say I notice on the 2210 is when setting an alarm, most of the time it won't turn on the PPC and alert you to it.

If you want a permission slip to go out and buy the latest model, I can definately give that. The newer 400Mhz WM2003 PPC's do have what appears to be a greater performance increase, and make working with a pleasant experience.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave,
just one more question Embarassed
does this mean that my ipaq 3970 is capable enough to run ppc 2003 software now and in the coming future or is it worth upgrading it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3970 is more than capable, in fact being an XScale processor it's been under utilised until the advent of WM2003. Although the promised speed increases that WM2003 was supposed to bring to XScale devices hasn't been wholly obvious in use you should find there is plenty of life in a WM2003 equipped 3970 for some time yet Thumbs Up
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers dude, i feel better now! Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: