Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European map for my tomtom one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European map for my tomtom one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: European map for my tomtom one Reply with quote

I have bought a tomtom one and upgraded to a 1GB sd card.

I am now thinking of upgrading to the entire European map, but have a few questions.

1) Will my 1GB card be big enough? (How big is the SD card supplied with the European map, or is it supplied on CD-ROM?)

2) How do I copy all of my personal POI's (aka favourites) to the 'new' map?

3) Can I also install the US/Canada map as well?

4) Where is the cheapest place to buy?

Many thanks, Dave.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your 1Gb SD card is not big enough.
the map for Western Europe is 1.4 GB (supplied on 1.5GB SD card), the USA/Canada map is about 950 MB (supplied on 1 GB sd card)
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can backup the US map to my 1GB card, and buy a new 2GB to backup the European one.

Alternatively, 4GB SD cards can't be far away from sensible prices. Will the tt one recognise a card this big for both maps??

Also, any idea how I transfer my saved poi's??

Many thanks, Dave.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've saved your favourites into a POI category then its just a simple matter of copy and pasting the .ov2 file with that name from one map folder to the other. If the favourites are still in "Favourites" then they are stored in a .cfg file (along with recent destinations and stuff, but its a bit more fiddly because the name depends on the map name:-
File in my TT300 is called "Great_Britain-Map.cfg" (in the folder called "Great_Britain-Map".
File in TT500 is probably called "Great_Britain_Plus-Map.cfg".

So, all in all, its easier to turn all your favourites into a POI category first (using the TomTom's menus). If you want, you can always turn them back into Favourites when you've transferred the POI file.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daveXIII wrote:
So I can backup the US map to my 1GB card, and buy a new 2GB to backup the European one.

Alternatively, 4GB SD cards can't be far away from sensible prices. Will the tt one recognise a card this big for both maps??

Also, any idea how I transfer my saved poi's??

Many thanks, Dave.

As far as I know, TomTom is not offering the 2 big maps as download. So why backing up on SD cards, when you already buy them on SD card (USA on 1GB, Europe on 1,5GB)? Better to back it up to a PC folder or a DVD.
If you really want to have USA and Europe contiguous maps, then it was not that wise to buy the 1GB SD card...
Of course you can also buy Maps of Western Europe CD set and the Maps of USA cd set. And install on your 1 GB whatever map you are going to use.
daveXIII
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more than happy to buy a few SD Cards as I use them for other devices, so always have a few kicking around.

The reason I use the 1GB for the UK is because I wanted a larger card to install other files (speed camera's, other POI etc etc). Would use a 512MB, only there is no point buying those with the 1GB costing so little.

I was purely coming at it from an ease of use perspective. If I have everything (US and Europe) on one card, I don't have to delete one map and copy another for a week in the 'States, only to have to put it back for my Monday morning run through 'Gatso alley'.

Also, the European map is very useful for using the tt handheld on a weekend away. Two hours battery should be long enough to find the hotel!!

Anyway. Will probably use a 1GB card for the States, and a 2GB for Europe, which will leave plenty of room for other things.

Thanks, Dave.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: