Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Why are a load of 'Custom Points' not there.....?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Why are a load of 'Custom Points' not there.....?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liviococcia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Why are a load of 'Custom Points' not there.....? Reply with quote

Hello Members
I've just installed the latest datbase version from the GarminPIO's website into my Garmin streetpilot i3, and when i look into my 'custom points' i find that, say, under Argos there are only 49 entries, but
when i look at the actual downloaded .CSV file for Argos there are somthing like 482 entries, this is the same for Tesco entries, and i guess many others, i haven't checked as yet.

I'm using the latest PIO Loader, and follow the loading instructions, measurements are set to 'ft & Miles', and loading on 'Express (recommended)' setting, so whats going wrong, any help would be great.

Just to mention, i loaded the latest speed cameras (4.034) from 'Pocket GPS World' before loading the PIO's database, and did a turn off, and on in between installations.

Also, when updating the 'speedcamera's' does the PIOLoader just overwrite the old file with the new one?, and that, i need not do anything (ie: manually delete in some way the old file)

Any help, and advice would be great

Kind regards
Livio
liviococcia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a quick count with the Burger King entry, and others, and they all appear to be showing a maximum of 50 branches, does this mean that 'Custom Points' in the Garmin StreetPilot i3' are ristricted in some way?

Again any info on this would help

regards
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the nearest 50 POIs under each category are shown.

If you want to see those for any specific area choose the place in 'Where To' and click 'Find Nearby', then the category you're interested in. This will then show the nearest 50 to the selected place.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why are a load of 'Custom Points' not there.....? Reply with quote

liviococcia wrote:
Just to mention, i loaded the latest speed cameras (4.034) from 'Pocket GPS World' before loading the PIO's database, and did a turn off, and on in between installations.

Also, when updating the 'speedcamera's' does the PIOLoader just overwrite the old file with the new one?, and that, i need not do anything (ie: manually delete in some way the old file)

You need to have the speed cameras and the POIs in the same folder and upload them together. Each time you upload the files it over-writes all of the old ones, so you will have lost the speed cameras when you uploaded the POIs.

At least I think that's right. If not someone will correct me soon!
liviococcia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Anita, but i followed your instruction...

"If you want to see those for any specific area choose the place in 'Where To' and click 'Find Nearby', then the category you're interested in. This will then show the nearest 50 to the selected place."

....... after clicking the 'where to', the 'Find Nearby' is not in the menu list, is this facility only active when i'm not indoors?, or is the 'Find Nearby' somewhere else

regards
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear!

Click 'Where To', then click on either 'Address' or 'Recent Finds' or 'My Favourites' or Cities etc, to select the desired location using the post code or city name etc, as you do when finding a destination to navigate to.

After selecting the location the list at the bottom of the screen shows 'Start Navigating', 'Show Map', 'Find Nearby' and 'Set Location'.

From there if you select 'Find Nearby' you can then search the POIs as usual. The distances shown will be the distance from your current location. If you want to know the distance from the selected place you will need to select 'Set Location' instead of 'Find Nearby'. This should give you the distances from that place. But don't forget to return the location to its usual setting when you've finished.

That seems awfully long-winded, but I hope you can follow it!
liviococcia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Anita, i understand, and gave it a go, cheers for that.

I have only one more favour, you mentioned about putting both database's into one folder prior to installing them into the Garmin, ie: putting all the info from the 'Speed Camera' zip file (from the Pocket GPS website) together with the info from the GarminPIO's.zip (form the GarminPIO's website), including any .TXT files, and then connecting up the streetpilot i3 and pointing the PIOLoader application to that one folder.

Is my understanding of the above correct, Anita, and is this how you do you database installations?

regards, and thanks
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I do.

I found the instructions by MELennium in the second post here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=29719
very useful and easy to follow.
liviococcia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must apologize for taking so long to get back to you with a 'thank you', anyway, thanks!
regards
Livio
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Livio.

I've learnt so much from the contributors to this forum in the three weeks I've had my i3, and it's nice to be able to help someone else a little.

Anita

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: