Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whats the point TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats the point TomTom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Whats the point TomTom? Reply with quote

Bought my Go 700 in January, got the free Safety Camera download, which I used, but I've just found out that that is it!! Theres no updates unless I part with my cash!!!
Well buggar that, I know where I'll be chucking my cash for the updates... right on this site!!
I'm off to get a years membership!!

Before I go though, I do like the TomTom database because it tells you the speed of the camera. Now I'm sure I've read on here that once you've downloaded the camera database, you can then download a file that will link to them and tell you the speed of each camera.

Could someone point me in the right direction for this....

And on that note, I'm sure I read that the file replaces all of the current sounds on the TomTom... is this true? If so, how can I then use different sounds for different POI's I may want to be warned about....

Thanks for your help folks.

iPhone 6 with Western Europe & CamerAlert
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gadget_sa,

gadget_sa wrote:
I know where I'll be chucking my cash for the updates... right on this site!!
I'm off to get a years membership!!

Excellent choice, the PocketGPSWorld camera database has fixed and mobile sites.

gadget_sa wrote:
Before I go though, I do like the TomTom database because it tells you the speed of the camera. Now I'm sure I've read on here that once you've downloaded the camera database, you can then download a file that will link to them and tell you the speed of each camera.

Yes, you can use either full categories (i.e. All Gatso, mobile, SPECs, etc locations) or you can use the sub-categories (i.e. Gatso 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, TBA, and VAR). The TBA are cameras that we are awaiting verification for the speed limit, VAR are the variable speed limit cameras.

gadget_sa wrote:
And on that note, I'm sure I read that the file replaces all of the current sounds on the TomTom... is this true? If so, how can I then use different sounds for different POI's I may want to be warned about....

Yes, we have a replacement DATA.CHK file that replaces the Beeps, Moo, etc with spoken alerts like Gatso, etc.

For further information please read the following guides:

Arrow The beginner’s guide to the PocketGPSWorld camera database.
This explains about the different camera types and about categories and subcategories, so that you can decide how you want the database on your unit.

Depending on whether you have TomTom Navigator on a Pocket PC or TomTom GO, please read either:

Arrow How to install (camera database) POIs to TomTom Navigator 5.
This guide explains how to load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto a Pocket PC running TomTom Navigator 5.

Arrow How to install (camera database) POIs onto a TomTom GO, Rider, or One.
This guide explains how to load the PocketGPSWorld camera database onto your TomTom GO, Rider, or One.

Once you have installed, set up, and used the PocketGPSWorld camera database for a while on your TomTom SatNav system. You may want to share and send in details of cameras yourself. You can do this by using the PocketGPSWorld POI Capture utility:

Arrow The PocketGPSWorld POI Capture utility.
You do not need the PocketGPSWorld POI Capture utility on your TomTom SatNav system in order to use the PocketGPSWorld camera database. However if you want to send in camera details then POI Capture makes the process of recording cameras much easier on TomTom Navigator and GO (original, 300, 500, and 700). At the moment POI Capture will not work with TomTom Rider, One, and mobile. This is for a technical reason, which we hope, will soon be rectified by TomTom.

The above guides may look lengthy and complicated when first seen. However if you grab a cup of coffee and read each one thoroughly then they should make sense as they have been written in a step-by-step way, for ease of reading.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Robert,

TBH, a colleague of mine has the 300, and he uses the PC at work to update his cameras, so I have a "basic" idea of what to do. But your in depth response should guide me through quite nicely!!

I don't think he has realised that there are other cameras that give you the speed as he seems to only use one file??!!
Is there a difference in the datbases? IE. Does the Full Category one have more cameras listed than the Sub Category one?

I'll grab myself a beer (rather than a coffee) and have read through and see how I go.
Watch this space in case I get stuck (or to drunk whilst reading to work it out!!).

Just one more thing before the bottle opener comes out.... do you know how I un-install the TomTom Safety cameras from the 700.

Many thanks

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

gadget_sa wrote:
I don't think he has realised that there are other cameras that give you the speed as he seems to only use one file??!!

That may be to save POI categories. Depending on your version you can have either 27 or 39 POI categories. Probably best to ask him.

gadget_sa wrote:
Is there a difference in the datbases? IE. Does the Full Category one have more cameras listed than the Sub Category one?

No, the full category contains the same number of sites as the multiple sub-categories for the same type. If you do decide to use the sub categories please ensure that you use all of them for the camera type, else you may miss that one camera that will get you!

gadget_sa wrote:
I'll grab myself a beer (rather than a coffee) and have read through and see how I go.
Watch this space in case I get stuck (or to drunk whilst reading to work it out!!).

Enjoy your drink and have one for me. Guinness Thumbs Up

gadget_sa wrote:
Just one more thing before the bottle opener comes out.... do you know how I un-install the TomTom Safety cameras from the 700.

No sorry as I’ve not tried it. If it’s a standard POI (.OV2 and .BMP files) in your map folder then presumable you can just remove them.

Regards
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx Again Robert,
Just a couple more questions if I may....

Privateer wrote:
That may be to save POI categories. Depending on your version you can have either 27 or 39 POI categories. Probably best to ask him.

Does that mean that you can only store an additional 39 to the Pre Set or you can only have 39 different types running (ticked) at once irrespective of how many POI's you have stored?

Privateer wrote:
If you do decide to use the sub categories please ensure that you use all of them for the camera type, else you may miss that one camera that will get you!
I'm assuming when you say "all" you mean from Gatso_20 to Gats_70, Gatso_tba & Gatso_Var, but NOT the one that is just called GATSO.??

Privateer wrote:
Enjoy your drink and have one for me. Guinness Thumbs Up
Think I must have overdone it... I posted this reply and another posting last night, but they don't seem to be on here... so I'm doing them again!!

gadget_sa wrote:

Privateer wrote:
No sorry as I’ve not tried it. If it’s a standard POI (.OV2 and .BMP files) in your map folder then presumable you can just remove them.

Yes, you're right, I just used file explorer on the to go to the GPS, EU Map and delted them.... easy as pie!

Tx again

Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

gadget_sa wrote:
Does that mean that you can only store an additional 39 to the Pre Set or you can only have 39 different types running (ticked) at once irrespective of how many POI's you have stored?

If you exceed the number (27 or 39) of POI categories loaded in your map folder on your GO unit then weird things happen, i.e. some POIS are shown not necessarily the ones you want.

It is best to ensure that you have no more POI categories loaded than the maximum. Tick only the ones that you want at the time. I often show/hide POIs depending on whether I want hotels, fuel stations, etc shown on my map as I drive.

gadget_sa wrote:
I'm assuming when you say "all" you mean from Gatso_20 to Gats_70, Gatso_tba & Gatso_Var, but NOT the one that is just called GATSO.??

That’s correct. Gatso main category contains exactly the same number of sites as all of the following sub categories:

Gatso_20
Gatso_30
Gatso_40
Gatso_50
Gatso_60
Gatso_70
Gatso_TBA
Gatso_VAR

This is why we stress that you use the main category or ALL of the sub categories. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Tx Robert.

Just got to sort out my POI Capture problem now!!

Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the number of POI catagories. I've just installed FW 5.44. Never did get round to installing 5.42.

Anyone any idea if 5.44 includes the changes made in 5.42?
gadget_sa
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on 5.42, and a friend is on 5.44.... I can't see any differences... except POI Capture don't work on yours!!! hehehehee

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: