Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fastest vs shortest on Garmin i3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fastest vs shortest on Garmin i3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Fastest vs shortest on Garmin i3 Reply with quote

Has anyone else come across this anomaly? I have yesterday purchased a new i3 and so I'm just playing around with it at the mo.
I put in a search to add my girlfriends house in favourites then used that destination to mess around with preferences etc.
I pressed " start navigating" and then when I went back into "review turns" it revealed that it was taking me way off course....5 miles further in fact on a journey that is 19.5 miles.
I went into the settings page and reviewed the "route preference" in navigation and altered it to "shortest" and did a recalc. of the route to see how this altered things. It now came out with a much more sensible route (in fact the route I would personally take anyway) but amazingly when I checked "review turns again" the time taken was 24.2 mins which was 3.12 mins quicker than the fastest route.
So to abbreviate what I have written above the shortest route was not only shorter by 5 miles but also over 3 mins quicker.
I rang Garmin and the guy didnt have an explanation other than he didnt think anything was wrong. He explained that in "shortest" mode it may take me through cities and slow roads because it is searching for the shortest way to get from A to B and that on "Fastest" setting it is working out the average speed assuming that all the roads are driven at their respective speed limits and will therefore find the route that will get me there the fastest. That all sounds logical so why is it doing this on mine. I'm bothered that when I am out of my local area it might be taking me all over the place. Obviusly in areas I now I can override it using common sense. The guy at Garmin suggested that it wouldnt matter too much if I was in an area I didnt know because as long as it got me to my destination I would never know if I was travelling the shortest or quickest way or not!!!
Anyway has anyone else encountered this? I can give you postcodes to do the search if anyone fancies trying to replicate this
foc_reaper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome noddy.. I myself am a newbie to this also..

And was wondering the same thing... I found at the weekend (using Shortest) coming back from my girlfriends (Maidstone) going home (Essex) it wanted to take me the wrong direction to start with.. until I went against the directions and it recalculated, and then took me in the right direction..

I might try this tonight, and review the directions to find out where it wants to go..

www.fOCUSowners.com
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 'fastest' setting will take you on major roads whether they are on your direct route or not, in other words if there is a major road say 10 miles to the right (on a map) of the way you are going the i3 will direct you to that road...shortest takes you more directly to your destination but using smaller 'b' type roads...unless there happens to be a motorway going in the same direction...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean "Fastest" means the route with the fastest roads rather than the route that is the fastest "time-wise"??
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in theory yes if you on or very near a 'fast' road.....if you are in the middle of nowhere and the 'fast' road is to the left or right of the direction you are going ,you might go right/left/up/down to the fast road before you start going in your direction.. so initially you might spend a while getting to the fast road....hope that makes sense.
noddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zogman but I dont think that is right. Surely the computer calculates the "fastest" route based on average speeds assumed for various roads. I can understand it taking me out of my way by 5 miles if it has worked out that I will get there 1 minute or so quicker but why does it do that when the "fastest" route is still 3 minutes slower? Remember that these are not my times but the figures the i3 worked out. The Fast route was 24.8 miles in 27.34 minutes and the shortest route was 20 miles in 24.2 mins
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
in theory yes if you on or very near a 'fast' road.....if you are in the middle of nowhere and the 'fast' road is to the left or right of the direction you are going ,you might go right/left/up/down to the fast road before you start going in your direction.. so initially you might spend a while getting to the fast road....hope that makes sense.

That's not really like the information I've received on the matter. I was told that using fastest, the i3 used the cumulative time taken for the journey (assumptions based on the types of roads) as the metric to evaluate routes. Where as shortest used the metric of purely distance.

So fastest should always be the THEORITICALLY fastest route - because time is the metric used for route evaluation.
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the i3 'learns yours driving speed on various routes and after a few trips the ETAs become a bit more reliable.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just quoting from experience ....a few times now the i3 tried to divert me about 5/10 miles to get to a fast 'a' road whereas i carried-on on a 'b' road because i knew the roads....
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddy wrote:
Thanks Zogman but I dont think that is right. Surely the computer calculates the "fastest" route based on average speeds assumed for various roads. I can understand it taking me out of my way by 5 miles if it has worked out that I will get there 1 minute or so quicker but why does it do that when the "fastest" route is still 3 minutes slower? Remember that these are not my times but the figures the i3 worked out. The Fast route was 24.8 miles in 27.34 minutes and the shortest route was 20 miles in 24.2 mins

With what you've said there, I don't understand how Garmin can say there's nothing wrong.

If by using the fastest route preference, the i3 can't (within itself) calculate what IT perceives as the fastest theoritical route, then surely there's something wrong with the way it's calculating routes.
Racing_Snake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trajet wrote:
Remember that the i3 'learns yours driving speed on various routes and after a few trips the ETAs become a bit more reliable.

Does it? That's good, I wasn't aware it did that.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Really??
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Really??

Personally, I'm very skeptical.

I'm just not convinced it's that sophisticated.

I could buy that it may have something similar to a trip computer in a car, and has retained something of an average speed, and maybe used that, but I don't think it's got the ability or the capacity to do much analysis on your driving patterns.
noddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trajet wrote:

Ok, firstly when the unit is brand new it has to have some built in criteria to determine a fastest route so there must be some defaults which logically would either be the actual speed limits for roads or a sensible assumed average i.e. 65 mph for motorways, 60mph for dual carriageways etc etc.
Secondly the Guy at Garmin told me that they used actual speed limits to work out the times on fastest route calculation. When I questioned why it still took longer on the fasdt route rather than the short route he couldnt give me an answer. The bottom line is he was waffling 'cos he didnt know the answer so thats why I came on here to see if anyone else has experienced it.
On my old Tom Tom 3 it would sometimes work a route out that was considerably further but it would get me there say 1 minute quicker. I can understand why it did that because at the end of the day its still the quicker route according to the systems calculations.
noddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is getting wierder.
I have just tried to do the route again but instead of going to girlfriends house, go to her town using the "cities" option. I get the same result as before i.e. Fast route is actually still longer in distance and time and short route is quicker.
However if using the "cities" option I choose to go to the next village to her town (in other words exactly the same route but a couple of miles further by driving through her town) it comes up with the right result i.e. both the fastest and shortest routes are identical.
Unless anyone else can tell me that they have experienced the same I'll have to assume it must be some sort of bug in the system.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: