Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help required with PalmOne Zire 72s
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help required with PalmOne Zire 72s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g0avo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Help required with PalmOne Zire 72s Reply with quote

Dear PalmOne owners,

Could any one please help with my problem.

I purchased the Zire 72s on behalf of my Grandson, unfortunately
he inadvertently pushed the wrong jack-plug into the charging socket
which has either damaged or pushed the internal socket inside the casing.
The unit doesn't charge via the usb/data transfer socket as I thought it might.

I managed to undo the two rear security screws at the bottom and managed to prise the case apart from two clips, however, the rest of the case seems well fixed and appears to be made of soft plastic and easily damaged, so I don't want to take the risk. If any owner has the knowledge of opening the case, or alternately knows of a good reputable
on-line company that could carry out such repairs I would be very grateful

Many thanks in anticipation of any help,

Regards,

Paul (g0avo)
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard USB cable is data only but you can get a synch and charge cable cheap off eBay. Probably easier than trying to fix the power socket Smile
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sync and charge cables have two plugs on PDA end, a mini-usb for sync, and power plug for charge.

You have no choice but to get the power socket on the unit repaired, you should check if Palm will do this for you (probably chargable as not a fault).
g0avo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Zire 72s damaged power socket Reply with quote

Many thanks TazUK & jblackmore, I appreciated your response.

I bought the PDA via ebay from the U.S.A. I emailed the seller for advice and he was also under the impression that it could be charged via the mini u.s.b. socket and computer. (like my own Mio 168's)

I have contacted Palm Europe Ltd via fax, who haven't responded as yet,
their web site was none too user friendly with NO Email a.d. to respond to.

When I tried to register a new repair with them on their web-site, quoting the serial no: of the PDA I got a pop-up telling me I was NOT authorized to use this function Crying or Very sad
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:
Sync and charge cables have two plugs on PDA end, a mini-usb for sync, and power plug for charge.

Oops, didn't realise the Zire 72 was different Embarassed
g0avo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Palm Zire 72s udate. Reply with quote

I'm rather disgusted that the Palm organization has not even had the courtesy of replying to my polite letter.

I've had a quote from another company for between £65/£75 to fix the problem, for that money for a simple jack-plug replacement might as well buy a new one and keep the other for spares!!!! - However, all is not lost, after some Internet research I found a site in the U.S.A. that sells a comprehensive charging kit. So there is actually devices available that will charge the 72s via the usb mini socket making the power socket redundant - 'Goodnews' although I have to check with them if they despatch World-Wide.

Check the site out at the link below

http://store.yahoo.com/gomadic-new/palmone-palm-zire-72s-car-auto-charger-wall-ac-power-usb-sync-charge-deluxe-kit.html
g0avo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: STOP PRESS!!!! Reply with quote

An update on my present predicament.

After further attempts to get help from Palm Europe Limited, they have been in contact with me via email; although the only way to communicate directly to them is by fax; because the device is under one year old, and they have accepted my proof of purchase from abroad with PayPal/Credit card documentation they are sending me an official repair request form to submit with the device for repair. They have been very speedy and most polite with their communications, which has given me hope that it will be an under warranty repair - fingers crossed.

The link I supplied to the site that supposedly supplies a mini usb charge cable for the device was dissappointing - their claim is incorrect, they point out that they are digital images which do not show that to charge the unit you also have to have the secondary link to the charge socket!

I will post further on the progress I make with Palm Ltd, for information puposes for Palm owners Wink
vinniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: STOP PRESS!!!! Reply with quote

g0avo wrote:
An update on my present predicament.

After further attempts to get help from Palm Europe Limited, they have been in contact with me via email; although the only way to communicate directly to them is by fax; because the device is under one year old, and they have accepted my proof of purchase from abroad with PayPal/Credit card documentation they are sending me an official repair request form to submit with the device for repair. They have been very speedy and most polite with their communications, which has given me hope that it will be an under warranty repair - fingers crossed.

The link I supplied to the site that supposedly supplies a mini usb charge cable for the device was dissappointing - their claim is incorrect, they point out that they are digital images which do not show that to charge the unit you also have to have the secondary link to the charge socket!

I will post further on the progress I make with Palm Ltd, for information puposes for Palm owners Wink

I am not sure if I understand your question fully. You said that the charging port is not working. If that is true the Zire 72 does change with the mini-usb but VERY slowly. I can change it fully after 6-8 hours but it does trickle charge. I found a post from someone from Palm who verified this and I can verify it also.

Vinnie

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: