Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin i3 - 'simulate driving' and 'vehicle type' questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin i3 - 'simulate driving' and 'vehicle type' questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnGray
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Garmin i3 - 'simulate driving' and 'vehicle type' questions Reply with quote

Apologies if these topics have been dealt with previously, but I couldn't find them on a forum search.

Leaving aside my other question, about whether you can set a motorway junction as a destination or a way-point (a thread I found says you can't), could I ask:

a) is there any way of getting the "simulate driving" feature to be faster than it would actually be in real life? Especially useful would be the ability to speed it up (when on a motorway) but slow it down when you are near the junction off at which you want to turn.

b) what is the effect of choosing various vehicle types? The online manual says it is to "optimise routes". Presumably a truck (and a bus) would not be routed along minor roads, where possible, but what would be the effect of selecting emergency [vehicle] or taxi? [whimsical thought: would specifying 'taxi' give you a non-stop commentary on road conditions, life, the universe, and everything?!]

Thanks!

John
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were a lightening fast simulate route mode it would also be useful for transferring a trace to Autoroute via Franson GPS Gate.
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a) Don't know. It is certainly possible with other gps software.
b) NAVTEQ provides attributes such as Taxi, Emergency Vehicle etc. These are used as the law and street signs allows each of these categories of vehicles to perform different functions. For example an emergency vehicle can ignore no left turns and drive on pedestrian streets. A taxi is allowed in some cases to perform different maneuvers to a regular car.
VEGG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah like parking on double yellows and turning with no warning TAXIs that is
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you cant lightning fast simulate, but you can review the whole route as soon as its been calculated. Cant recall exactly how you do this on an I3. This should allow you to compare the diference between diferent routing options. You can even take screen dumps of the route info with XImage.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcb wrote:
No you cant lightning fast simulate, but you can review the whole route as soon as its been calculated. Cant recall exactly how you do this on an I3.

menu --- review turns
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to review turns then click the wheel on an instruction you get a split screen with map and instruction, on your last waypoint it gives total time/distance. You can also check out a route somewhere remote from where you are if you turn the GPS off in settings and choose an address, then set it as your location.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: