Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - getting European Maps onto Street Pilot.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

getting European Maps onto Street Pilot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: getting European Maps onto Street Pilot. Reply with quote

Hi There,

Could someone please help me out. I am going to France on holiday, so I want to be able to view European maps on my i3.

How do I go about this ? Do I need a new memory card ? Would I be able to borrow a mates card or CD/ DVD and just copy them onto a new Flash memory ?

Thanks,

Chris
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your i3 should have the major roads for Europe already. However it won't have the minor roads. I suspect you'll have to buy a map from Garmin to get the full details.
channeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: France Reply with quote

European base map is already on the i3 so for main roads you may be able to use this. There is more detail for northern France and Belgium. I am not sure how far south you can route plan because when I have entered cities further south eg: Lyons they don't seem to show up.

If you want street level autorouting with voice prompts you have three options, either purchase a City Select Europe DVD, a City Navigator DVD, or a transflash card with the maps for France already installed eg:
http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/gps-navigation/garmin/garmin-software-map-updates/

The DVDs are expensive but worth thinking about if you expect to be travelling to other countries in Europe in the future. From what other people have said the only way to get a City Select DVD in the UK is to buy an Auto Navigation package which is really designed for another Garmin unit but includes the DVD. Otherwise you may come across one on ebay.

There are unlock codes required for using all these products so there are issues re attempting to borrow copies. You'll find discussion of this on the forum if you do a search.

Whatever option you go for you'll need a new transflash card because you'll erase existing data if you use the existing card. I got one from some firm on Amazon for around £25 (512MB)

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: