Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi speed camera question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi speed camera question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Nuvi speed camera question Reply with quote

Hi, I'm currently thinking of buying th Nuvi 300. Can you use the unit as a standalone camera detector if you know where you are going?

Thanks
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sure you can. You can also use it as a camera detector AND navigate at the same time.

Kind regards,

Mark
Psgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark beat me to it. Yes, the unit also functions as a fully featured camera, plus you can purchase add-ons for extra features.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markjohnson wrote:
Sure you can. You can also use it as a camera detector AND navigate at the same time.
Sorry - just to clarify precisely - can you get alerts for cameras if the unit is turned on but no route is planned - ie it is just showing you where you are on the map?

Also, if you turn off the volume for the voice directions, will it still alert you to cameras?
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]
Sorry - just to clarify precisely - can you get alerts for cameras if the unit is turned on but no route is planned - ie it is just showing you where you are on the map?
Quote:

Yes, absolutely. It even continues to bing if you are exceeding the limit as well as the initial boing when you get near a camera.

Also, if you turn off the volume for the voice directions, will it still alert you to cameras?
Quote:

Alas, no. A little bugbear of mine. You still get the visual alert but no audible. If this is important then consider the TomTom One which can alert to speed cameras (but only once when you get within range), while navigating, without audible directions (you have to download a silent voice which is free).

The TomTom One isn't as good with the camera alerts, but is a little better for navigation. IMHO of course.

Kind regards,

Mark
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markjohnson wrote:
You still get the visual alert but no audible. If this is important then consider the TomTom One which can alert to speed cameras (but only once when you get within range), while navigating, without audible directions (you have to download a silent voice which is free).
Thanks - I guess I've been spoilt - historically I've used TomTom with third party software handling the POI alerts - so I can mute TomTom whilst leaving the POI alerting sound turned on.

Shame, but not a show stopper.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: