Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - AA Navigator Traffic Edition 5040T / Holux GPSmile 60?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

AA Navigator Traffic Edition 5040T / Holux GPSmile 60?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pogbellies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: AA Navigator Traffic Edition 5040T / Holux GPSmile 60? Reply with quote

AA Navigator Traffic Edition 5040T

http://www.aanavigator.com/shop/product.asp?id=58

Is this not just a GPSMile 60 in disguise?

Out of interest does this mean that the car power lead for the Mile 60 also contains a radio receiver / can this be bought separately if not?

Hohum....... how does the AA software compare with Tom Tom - anyone know?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: AA Navigator Traffic Edition 5040T / Holux GPSmile 60? Reply with quote

pogbellies wrote:
Is this not just a GPSMile 60 in disguise?
Yes, and no - hardware wise, yes, the base unit appears to be the same, but it has the AA navigation software onboard.
Quote:
Out of interest does this mean that the car power lead for the Mile 60 also contains a radio receiver / can this be bought separately if not?
Possibly, possibly not, I can't find any reference to the standard power cable having a radio receiver in it, so it may be a special cable produced by Holux for the AA. But of course, as well as the cable needing the radio receiver, you will need navigation software capable of working with that receiver, and the right additional data to process the data once downloaded.

I suspect if you bought the Holux, bought the AA Navigation software, and then the AA Traffic 3000 cable (which includes the lifetime subscription to the traffic data) you may well have achieved the same thing, but I suspect you will have spent more money than buying it altogether to begin with!
pogbellies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA you are almost correct!! Wink

I already have a mile 60 with TT5 which is great but.......
There is no way to hook up a mile 60 for TT traffic, the only connectors are an ext aerial for sat nav (somewhat superfluous?) and a USB mini port. which means I may be better ditching the TT5 for AAnav if its comparable and I can get a cable.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pogbellies wrote:
There is no way to hook up a mile 60 for TT traffic
Indeed - TomTom needs Bluetooth to connect to a mobile phone to get the traffic updates, whereas AA Navigator uses FM Radio (RDS-TMC) to get it's updates - it's possible all Holux units have the additional connections on the power socket to support it, or of course, it may be limited to the AA custom models.
Quote:
the only connectors are an ext aerial for sat nav (somewhat superfluous?)
It's useful if you have a heat-refecting windscreen - there's normally a single area around the rear view mirror (or the lower corners of the screen) which are clear and can be used, so in these cases you need an external aerial located in one of these places.
Quote:
I may be better ditching the TT5 for AAnav if its comparable and I can get a cable.
Certainly Here is where you can buy it from, and it mentions it is the cable "already included" with the "All in One" units - however, it's an expensive gamble if the Holux unit does not already have support for it...
pogbellies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing thanks for the help.....

It does seem to be rather expensive and as you suggest something of a gamble given TT5 has already cost a small fortune.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: