Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin POI Loader Update 23-01-2006
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin POI Loader Update 23-01-2006
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Garmin POI Loader Update 23-01-2006 Reply with quote

New POI Loader available for download

Changes made from version 2.0 to 2.2.1:

Added support for reading POIs from GPX files. You can now create POIs in MapSource and load them in POI Loader. See product Help for more details.
Added support for comment lines in .CSV files that start with ';' or '#'. This allows .CSV files created by programs like PoiEdit to work without modifications.
Added support for a fourth column in the .CSV file for POI details. This was an unadvertised feature in 2.0.
Added support for embedded line-breaks in the name and comment fields of .CSV files. This allows you to enter multi-line comments like addresses. See product Help for more details.
Added support for longitude and latitude to be quoted.
Added Palm support to support the iQue 3000.
Increased maximum alert proximity range to 65km/37miles.
Monochrome images (1bit per pixel) are now sent to the unit correctly.
Fixed translation and layout issues for Japanese, Korean, and Chinese.

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The File's name is POILoader_20.exe though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: POI Loader software version 2.2.1 Reply with quote

Have you tried the software it reports that all my files are invalid when attempting to load into a Garmin i3 using both express and manual.

Has anyone still got the previous release POI Loader software version 2.2.0 i saved over the top of mine thinking all would be ok.

If someone could email it to me or point to a web location please so that i can get it going again.

spamtrap@talktalk.net

change spamtrap to newsgroup

Regards,

Derek.
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: POI Loader software version 2.2.1 Reply with quote

timber wrote:
Have you tried the software it reports that all my files are invalid when attempting to load into a Garmin i3 using both express and manual.

Has anyone still got the previous release POI Loader software version 2.2.0 i saved over the top of mine thinking all would be ok.

If someone could email it to me or point to a web location please so that i can get it going again.

I've got the previous version, email me and I'll send it. bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk will get me.

FWIW I've run it, had it complain about the gatso 20mph csv file, but when I check it has uploaded quite happily into my i3. I don't know why this happens, but I'll email Garmin to tell them that it is not quite right.

Ignore the complaints and just press yes though, it will probably be OK for you.

Brian
Lunker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just loaded 2.2.1 and I now can't upload any POI apart from the ones I've made myself?!? Confused

I tried just clicking yes but it carries on without loading the files.

I'm going to email you Fenris to get a copy of the old software.

if thats OK?
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunker wrote:
I've just loaded 2.2.1 and I now can't upload any POI apart from the ones I've made myself?!? Confused

I tried just clicking yes but it carries on without loading the files.

I'm going to email you Fenris to get a copy of the old software.

if thats OK?

Be my guest

Brian
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: POI Loader software version 2.2.1 Reply with quote

timber wrote:

spamtrap@talktalk.net

Regards,

Derek.

Normal service resumed thanks John and Brian email arrived just after i had reinstalled original software, web link is on another post within this group.

I'm amazed that Garmin released this software Confused this is of concern in that a company with high end electronics can put this crap out, hope that they don't do similar with maritime and aviation software planes going round in circles and ships falling of the edge of the world.

Leason learned i'll wait and not just jump in when they release any more crapware.

Derek.
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: POI Loader software version 2.2.1 Reply with quote

timber wrote:
timber wrote:

spamtrap@talktalk.net

Regards,

Derek.

Normal service resumed thanks John and Brian email arrived just after i had reinstalled original software, web link is on another post within this group.

I'm amazed that Garmin released this software Confused this is of concern in that a company with high end electronics can put this crap out, hope that they don't do similar with maritime and aviation software planes going round in circles and ships falling of the edge of the world.

Leason learned i'll wait and not just jump in when they release any more crapware.

Derek.

Not sure why this problem stops some people uploading, but in any case I have sent the .csv file that POILoader complains about here to Garmin tech support so they can have a look. It is annoying, but it isn't the first time that Garmin (or anyone else for that matter) has released dodgy software, I think their testing is inevitably going to miss some problems.

It was interesting to note that the new version is able to cope with comment fields, and they specifically mention POIEdit as a source of commented .csv files. I use POIEdit 3.8, and none of the .csv files it creates have comments in them.

Anyway, I hope that Garmin's softies will sort this one out soon.

Brian
slartibartfast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit worried about trying the updated program after reading comments on here but I uploaded MaFt's POI files and speed cameras without any problems.
Eagle747
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slartibartfast wrote:
I was a bit worried about trying the updated program after reading comments on here but I uploaded MaFt's POI files and speed cameras without any problems.

Perhaps Garmin have fixed it?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not had chance to try it yet... will have a look later tonight if i get time and also look at how poi edit exports its 'garmin' csv

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, just tried using poi edit to export to garmin csv and the only thing i can see that's different is that the name column has speach marks, ie it says: "GATSO:2468@30" as opposed to: GATSO:2468@30

don't have my i3 at work so can't try and upload it so not sure if it could be this? has anyone else tried using their old poi files rather than the ones exported by poi edit? and does the same thing occur?

MaFt
casablanca
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: PoiLoader updates. Reply with quote

Garmin sent an email announcing the new software for the POIloader.

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?product=999-99999-12

Click on the link and the page has this message.

"No software is currently available for this product. Please check back for updates".

Click on the About PoiLoader and you will eventually come across

"download the latest POILoader Software"

Click that, agree terms, and you are invited to dowload,

POI Loader software version 2.2.1 as of January 23, 2006
Download 10.02 MB

Click it and you get POILOader_20.exe
9.56MB

This is not the new software, beware.
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
right, just tried using poi edit to export to garmin csv and the only thing i can see that's different is that the name column has speach marks, ie it says: "GATSO:2468@30" as opposed to: GATSO:2468@30

don't have my i3 at work so can't try and upload it so not sure if it could be this? has anyone else tried using their old poi files rather than the ones exported by poi edit? and does the same thing occur?

MaFt

All my POIEdit files have the " " surrounding the name and speed, only one of them is complained about, I click yes and they all upload just fine.

I've sent Garmin tech support in the UK an email to see what they say, I suspect it's a minor bug that needs fixing, hope they do so soon.

Brian
Fenris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: PoiLoader updates. Reply with quote

casablanca wrote:
Garmin sent an email announcing the new software for the POIloader.

http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?product=999-99999-12

Click on the link and the page has this message.

"No software is currently available for this product. Please check back for updates".

Click on the About PoiLoader and you will eventually come across

"download the latest POILoader Software"

Click that, agree terms, and you are invited to dowload,

POI Loader software version 2.2.1 as of January 23, 2006
Download 10.02 MB

Click it and you get POILOader_20.exe
9.56MB

This is not the new software, beware.

After installing it, the exe file for POILoader shows as version 2.2.1.3 dated 3rd December, so it is the new version.

The old version 2.0 is 7609KB according to Windows Explorer, 7,790,788 bytes in a DOS window. The new file is 10,027,231 bytes, this is where their 10.02MBytes comes from, they're thinking in millions of bytes, not in megabytes.

Brian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: