Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom one, transfer to new card plus upgrades help please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom one, transfer to new card plus upgrades help please
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried just copying your backup to your new card and putting it into the ONE? This is how I did it on my RIDER, which is essentially a mute ONE with an overcoat on.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, put your original card into the ONE and connect it to your PC.
Turn the ONE on and wait for Windows to say it's found a USB Mass Storage Device.
Open Windows Explorer and navigate to TomTom ONE (my RIDER is TomTom RIDER (FSmile).
Once you have highlighted the ONE, select Tools > Folder options > View.
Click in the option Show hidden files and folders, then Apply, then OK.
Right-click on your ONE and select copy.
Right-click on your desktop and click Paste.
When this has finished, disconnect your ONE,take the original SD card out and put your new one in.
Reconnect the ONE to your PC and wait for it to be found again.
Right-click on the ONE folder on your desktop and click Copy.
Right-click on your ONE in Windows Explorer and click Paste.
Wait for it to finish, disconnect the ONE from your PC. It should reboot.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:
I had already got a back up from the original, that went automatically into my documents called tomtom go (even though its a tomtom one) can I jusy copy this folder and paste it to the removable device? and should I copy the total folder or should I bypass main tomtom go folder then the next backup folder to the inside of that one that contains 19 items 7 of which are folders eg: great britain map ect?

Thanx

Try it, it won't do any harm. I'd copy the whole folder myself.
gazza1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:

Now I have to upgrade to the newest version, Can I just update this new card now and do my original later?

You can now just update the new card and put the original card somewhere safe
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the reverse order, yes it is easy, after the first time.Smile

Yes, you have the right file.

You will need to highlight the files you want to UnZip and Click Extract. You will be asked where you want to extract them to. Either create a new Folder, probably called Cameras, and select that as Destination. Or use some other temporary Folder.

Have a read of this. It will give you a little more help on whuich files to use.

I've deleted your other post, that duplicates this, as it might be confusing.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would probably be easier to unzip the whole folder and then pick and choose which files you want.
Also, if you've got Windows XP, you won't need to use Winzip. Just right click on the downloaded zipfile and select "Extract All...". Save everything to a folder on your PC then copy across just the bits you need.

The description on Ray's site, (that Oldboy mentioned above) is very good, and well worth reading through.
The only thing I'd add is that some people will find that they use up too many POI categories if they use the full speed-zoned Gatso, Mobile AND specs sets. However, there is no reason why you can't mix and match and have, say, speed-zoned Gatso and Mobile sets and the single file version of the specs, redlight and temp cameras (that makes 18 categories rather than 23).
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at Andy's post on this thread for distances.

It is easy to change. Tap Screen > Change Preferences . Manage POI > Warn When Near. Just follow the menu through on every camera group.

Note that to hear the camera warning when you don't have a route set, DO NOT tick the box labelled 'Only Warn When On Route'.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lot of questions Laughing
I'll try to answer some....

POST 1
First - stop getting panicky, you'll get used to it!

What you are trying to do with the data.chk is replace the original data.chk with a new one. So you could delete the original but it is always better when doing this sort of thing to simply rename the file to something like data.chk.old so you can retrieve it if something goes wrong or you just want to go back to what you had. Then you rename the new one to data.chk and put it in exactly the same place as the original one was.

Oncw you have got everything set up, the next month's download is simple. You just pick out the same set of ov2 files, drag them onto the card and windows will ask you if you want to replace the files with the same name. Just say "Yes to All" and it will replace everything in one go. All the other bmp (picture ) files can stay the same, and you won't need to set up alert sounds and distances again.

POST 2
Don't worry, you only need the 4 files
pocketgps_uk_redlight.bmp
pocketgps_uk_redlight.ov2
pocketgps_uk_temp.bmp
pocketgps_uk_temp.ov2

because the rest are the files for "all gatsos" "all mobiles" etc. for people who don't want to (or can't) use the speed- zoned set. You ARE using them so you don't want to have them twice.

POST 3
The specs cameras have only recently been offered as split into different speeds, so I guess the voice files have simply not caught up yet (also, unless you use POIextend you are very limited to how many different voice alerts you can have anyway). I would not bother using the speed zoned specs files and install the pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2 and pocketgps_uk_specs.bmp files instead.

"tba" just means cameras that no-one has reported the speed limit yet so they don't know what to call them.
"var" are the gantry cameras on the M25 and some other motorways where there are variable speed limits that can be imposed if it is congested or there has been an accident. Big signs light up with a speed limit, and cameras on the same gantries come into action at that speed.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the easy way is to connect to the PC and in Explorer check the number of .ov2 files in the Map Folder. There is a limit of 39 with V5.420, so taking one away from the other will tell you how many you can still add.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:
I'm still deciding what to put as warnings for gatso 70.... I cant use just the plain gatso warning as I'm using that for gatso 20 and to me its too big a difference from 20 and 70

Are you saying you won't realise whether you are in a 20 MPH zone or a 70? Surprised Police
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about how it will actually work in practice, I don't think your daughter will have a problem.
You're driving along a big dual carriageway and approach a camera. At the distance you've set the "Gatso" voice alarm goes off.

Or... you're pootling along in a 20MPH zone and approach a camera. You still get an alarm, does it REALLY matter that it only says "Gatso"?

It *would* be nice if there was a full set of speeds/voices, but the database is evolving all the time so the voices haven't all caught up yet. Not sure which voices you are using, have you tried the excellent ones on Rayflan's site HERE

Also, a couple of personal thoughts...
1) I've never even seen a 20mph camera! There must be a few around, but they certainly aren't common.
2) Personally, I've never felt the need for different voice alerts anyway. I just use the "Polite 2" default sound. One should really know what the limit is and if you've installed the .bmp icons, a quick glance will confirm it. (I've done some "Mobile" icons that match the others better (Big speed in red circle with "Mobile" underneath). If you want touse them, they are in the "Pearce" folder in the zip file you download from PocketGPSW.

Good luck!
Andy
(a bit disappointed with your nickname, now I know you've got a daughter old enough to drive Crying or Very sad )
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh heck that means I've got to delete the ones I've already put on...

No you don't need to remove the camera files or their icons, and you will still be alerted on screen.
All you are considering is changing the voice alerts which I think are just a bonus. The Go/One is still brilliant without them.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onesexylady wrote:
but it doesnt actually say anything about when I need to update and what to do, so anyone have any tips?

The update comes out every month, at the end of the month. In fact the latest is there now.

If you are keeping the same setup as you have now, all you need to do is Copy the same OV2 files to the Map Folder. When Pasting Windows will ask if you want to overwrite the existing files. Just Click 'Yes To All'.

This will also leave all your Warning Settings as you had them before.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just download the ov2 files that you did before. The asc files are for the likes of Navman, etc. who import text files for POI.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: