Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HELP Holux CR-100 killed my iPaq!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP Holux CR-100 killed my iPaq!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martynhardacre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: HELP Holux CR-100 killed my iPaq! Reply with quote

Can someone please help me. I've got an HP HX2110 iPaq and have been using TomTom 5 witha fortuna gps. All was fine. I decided to get a Holux gps cradle to cut down on the wires on the dash. As soon as I connected the PDA to the Holux, the iPaq screen went dead and it hard reset itself. I tried again WITHOUT power to the cradle and it did the same. I did a system restore but no the iPaq thinks it is on charge most of the time when it's not plugged in. When it does realise that it's running on battery (not often) it seems like the battery life has been halved.

Has anyone else had similar problems? I need help!!!!!
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange, have you check the pins on the bottom of the motherboard to see if they are damaged? We have sold thousands of these and never had anyone say that it has harmed their PDA. I have had an issue with another car kit model and have spoken to HP who advised that their iPAQ's cannot overcharge they just stop taking power. Sounds like your iPAQ might have been faulty before you inserted into the CR100.
How long have you had the iPAQ for?
martynhardacre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the iPaq about a month. It's worked perfectly all the time I've had it. I've even used a GPS "mouse" and tomtom previously with no problems. As soon as I plugged the iPaq into the cradle it died. Now it can't recognise whether it's charging or on battery and when it is on battery, the battery life is massively reduced.
martynhardacre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry didn't answer your question! Pins all look ok. Plus the iPaq still syncs ok with the usb cable and is ok on charge. Even when there's no power ot the cradle though it still freezes and resets just by plugging the cradle in. Which type of CR-100 should I have? The I1 or the I2?
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had similar. I had my somewhat used CR-100 do the same to me the other day. When I put my phone in the cradle it would shut down and on restart it would ask me to set up PDA again (hard reset as we know it..... thank goodness for Sprite Backup!) Did it twice to me.

I tried reverting to old versions from Sprite to see if I had a bizarre conflict but to no avail.

I resorted to stripping down the unit to find that one of the two springs which operate the jaws had come off when a plastic post snapped and the spring was bridging the gap between the mini-transformer thingy and another connection. Removed it and I've since traversed Europe with no issues.

So in summary I would be looking for a physical connection issue inside the unit if I was you.

You might want to clear it with Graham or someone at Holux before you strip it to see where you stand on warranty but I think they are usually ok for you to unscrew as long as you've reported the problem prior to doing so and they've iven you the nod. (Hope I'm not out of line with that statement Graham!)
Holux GPSslim
martynhardacre
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Do you mean that there was a problem with connection in the iPaq or the cradle? The place I bought the holux from said they will take it back and test it but I'm a bit concerned that I'm looking at an expensive repair of my iPaq. Usually if it's in my pocket on standby, I'll get to the end of the day without using it and when I turn the screen on it would still be at 90% battery level. Now it's lasting about 2-3 hours. Do you know of anyone who does cheap repairs on iPaqs?
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ipaqrepair.co.uk i w
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn, I don't have an I-Paq. I use an Orange SPV M2000 with my CR-100 so I can't comment. Mind you I didn't experience any damage to my PDA despite it happening several times before I workied out the problem. The spring in my instance was the internal spring that pulls the jaws together in the CR-100 holding it in the crade. It works ok-ish with just one spring. I'm not suggesting you have exactly the same problem. Just that for me, the hard reset was cause by the metal spring shorting across connections inside the cradle.
Holux GPSslim

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: