Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which SD card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which SD card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bearsieboo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Which SD card? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm going to buy a 1gb SD card for my MDPNA175 / MD95233, just wondered if anyone has any recommendations of which manufacturer/supplier I should choose; or more importantly, to avoid.

Thanks - BB
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got SanDisk SD 1 GB ULTRA II from Amazon at Xmas for £55 & it runs nice & fast using all my maps MP3's etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007QU7KU/qid%3D1133725413/sr%3D2-1/ref%3Dsr%5F2%5F3%5F1/203-3614290-9543927
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to post this yet again!

When buying an SD card, the compatibility with the PDA is only part of the story - it must also be compatible with any reader you have.

It is therefore essential that you either confirm this before purchase with the supplier of the card, or have their agreement that they will trake it back (without deductions) if it turns out not to be.

So far, I have not had any problems with SD cards in my PPC - it has been with the card readers! Yes you can use ActiveSync, but if you are to use the 1GB capacity, it will take a very long time.
UEF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a lot of old being spread by the manufacturers about "good" and "bad" cards - I've had dozens through without issues.

This is a great deal for the price - and folds in half to reveal a USB connector - no readers required. Very clever!

http://www.picstop.co.uk/Secure-Digital-(SD)/SanDisk-Ultra-II-(USB)-SD-Plus-Card---1GB
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right, but I know several people who have had problems. In each case it was with one reader but not with another, but in all cases the reader worked with the majority of cards.

I could add, that for the majority of people I know who have more than one reader, and several cards, they have a problem with at least one combination of card and reader. None has a problem with a particular card which fails to work in any reader, or any reader which refuses to read any particular type of card.

Now, think what you may, but for me, that is first-hand proof that there is an issue to be considered - the exact nature of the issue is another matter - one which I am unqualified to determine, but from what I do know (about testing), in the cases I have seen, there has never been sufficient evidence to prove conclusively that it was definately the card, or definately the reader which was the cause of the problem.
maca2
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have found odd about SD cards is that many are from the same makers.

I have 3 256mb's so called budget SD cards & I see that after I pull the stickers off, all of which have different brand names on, I find that all of them are the same cards made by Toshiba.

So many of these cards are the same no matter what brand you choose.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: