Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom buying decision. One or Go...?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom buying decision. One or Go...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: TomTom buying decision. One or Go...? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a satnav solution.

I had been considereing either TomTom, or Smartnav. A friend has the latter and I quite like the elegant simplicity of it. However I don't think it's quite as good at urban navigation and the lack of a decent screen (I know you can get a basic one) makes me a bit nervous, as a visual guide for complex junctions is always handy.

So, I'm pretty much sold on an in car solution. My natural inclination is towards TomTom, as I used a version 3 no a PDA for about a year, and loved it. As such I've been looking at the One, and the Go range. I've heard good and bad things about other vendors, and would happily consider those too - I guess having used TomTom I know what I'm getting is all.

So, if I do go the TT route, which model to go for? I'm broadly aware of the differences in the Go range, and have at one time or other considered all of them. As such I'm looking for comments on things I may have missed, as well as info on any good deals at the moment that might swing my decision. One of my big requirements is for a clean install, ideally with a dash or console mount, and properly installed power. I'm driving an MX-5 so space is somewhat limited. I realise that the One has a direct connection to the power cable, but I don't think that's a major downside if the cabling is done well. What options are there for mounting the TTs, and do they offer an install service?

Something that may be a factor is that I will be needing a bluetooth phone kit at some point, and am aware that the Go 500 and 700 have this built in. Whilst I'm happy to use those all other things being equal, I don't want to compromise on the satnav side, and possibly pay a hefty premium just for the car kit - I can always get a separate one if necessary. What are people's experiences with the car kit?

In summary then, my thinking at the moment is as follows:

One - tempted. It has a nice screen and good reception.
Go 300 - not sure the extra money over the One makes it worth it.
Go 500 - has the car kit, making it a contender
Go 700 - I will be travelling mainly in the UK, and I'm not sure the premium over the 500 it worth it for me.

Have I missed anything, and can anyone offer comments on things that might help me decide? Any help much appreciated.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd go for the ONE and get a seperate BT carkit. The carkit integration isn't great on the GO's, a very small range of handsets are fully supported and you really need an external microphone to make best use of them.

If however you require pan-European coverage then the 700 would be the optimal choice.
Sir_Fallot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom buying decision. One or Go...? Reply with quote

rmines wrote:
I'm looking for a satnav solution.
In summary then, my thinking at the moment is as follows:

One - tempted. It has a nice screen and good reception.
Go 300 - not sure the extra money over the One makes it worth it.
Go 500 - has the car kit, making it a contender
Go 700 - I will be travelling mainly in the UK, and I'm not sure the premium over the 500 it worth it for me.

Have I missed anything, and can anyone offer comments on things that might help me decide? Any help much appreciated.

This review does not directly address your questions but is quite useful
http://www.mytomtomgo.com/review_tomtom-one.php

The One is shipped without Case or mains power lead, it also has a shorter battery life and the voice while adequate is apparently quieter than the go. On the plus side it is slimmer and has a more upto date GPS chipset which apparently gives better reception.

I bought a camera case for £8 (on a special deal) which fits snugly, I use the cigarette lead in car so battery life and mains charger are not important to me.

On this basis I bought a tt1 and am happy with it, although this is my first gps unit and I have nothing to compare it against.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off with the TTG 300 last June, sold it and went through various Smartphone/PDA variations and today have the TT1 and am very happy with it. Its simplicity of use, portability etc have got me sold.
I think the TTG 300 and TT1 are the same thing, apart from the TT1 being smaller and more portable. I don't remember any other operating differences, apart from the size. Certainly, the speed it locks onto satillites etc is impressive and once there, it stays there. I thought the TTG 300 took a bit longer, if I remember correctly.
I got mine about 2 weekd ago from Staples for about £246 as a proce match as Carphone Warehouse and others were selling it for the same. The "real" price was £279.99 with a £30 discount. May even be cheaper now, haven't looked.
In summary, certainly a good piece of kit, not the cut down version I thought it would be. The 500 has the bluetooth h/f and 700, both h/f and a small hard drive rather than theSD maps.
My opinion only of course.
Doug
rmines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

The 500 works out around £120 more than the One - probably not worth it for the hands free functionality, especially as I've heard quite mixed things regarding quality etc.

One thing the Go range seems to have going for it over the One is mounting options. Aside from a range of good third party mounts there's alost a permanent mounting kit, which whilst expensive would give a nice installation I guess.

Given what I've heard I think the One is the one to go for (no pun intended). Apart from being cheaper the better reception, smaller size and better screen do all add to make it more compelling. Being new I suspect that more third party mounting options will appear in the coming months and I can make do until then.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good decision. I'm sure you won't regret it. I normally change like the wind, or have done, but I am sticking with the One. Well, for this week at least! ;)
Doug
Sir_Fallot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmines wrote:
SNIP
One thing the Go range seems to have going for it over the One is mounting options. Aside from a range of good third party mounts there's alost a permanent mounting kit, which whilst expensive would give a nice installation I guess.

I think that most of the GO mounts will also work with the one as the accessory that holds the Go/One to the windscreen mount has the same style of connector. The main difference difference being that power must be plugged in directly to the One, whereas with the GO it can go through the mount.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidL wrote:
Incidentally, Halfords were most helpful at the demo stage but declined to offer a discount even when I pointed out that their price was £40 more than an online competitor who was offering free speed camera POIs and a mains charger.

And that Free database would have been ours!
Unplugged
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
DavidL wrote:
Incidentally, Halfords were most helpful at the demo stage but declined to offer a discount even when I pointed out that their price was £40 more than an online competitor who was offering free speed camera POIs and a mains charger.

And that Free database would have been ours!

However unlikly theres no reason why it couldent have easily just been TomToms database.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: You are kidding? Reply with quote

I doubt it. That's a normally paid for product! I bought one online and after complaining they did not give me the promised monthly speed camera update, sent me the file from this website.
Smile
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Ray Flanagan's web site, you can download the data.chk file that corresponds to your TT version and this will give you real voice warnings rather than the bongs and moos of the original.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: