Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Interesting i3 experience (re. Woolworths pricematch)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting i3 experience (re. Woolworths pricematch)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickbot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Interesting i3 experience (re. Woolworths pricematch) Reply with quote

Dear All,

Apologies for the long thread, but I thought you might like to hear about my experience yesterday in getting a £99 pricematch from Woolworths.

I purchased my i3 two weeks ago in Woolies for £144.99 and was extremely pleased with the price and of course the performance of the unit (it's my fourth Garmin GPS). Upon reading in this forum that Somerfield and Kwick Save had them for £99 I decided to take Woolworths up on their price match policy.

Now, I'd read Woolworth's T&Cs on their website, where they clearly stated:

"The product must be like for like and confirmed to be in stock with the other retailer. Distance is no object."

...note the "Distance is no object" remark.

Anyhow, I went to Woolworths in Long Eaton (Derbyshire) to claim back the £45 price difference,...having carefully researched stock levels at local branches of Kwick Save and Somerfield - I found that Somerfield in Ilkeston had one in stock at £99 so was happy. The bloke in LE Woolworths was *such* a jobsworth, he said he couldn't do the price match because Ilkeston was over 3 miles away (5.8 to be precise) - I told him about the T&C's on the website but he said they have a 3 mile limit (wish I'd have printed it out!)

Right,...fairly annoyed at this point I got in the car, and asked the box of tricks to navigate us to Ilkeston, which it did in wonderful fashion (down some back streets I never knew existed). I called Ilkeston Somerfield again on the way to check stock - all fine, still one left.

Upon arrival at Woolworths in Ilkeston, I spoke to the manager, then had to wait ten mins for the phone to be free for them to make the call,.....by the time they managed to speak to Somerfield it'd been sold! - they can't do a price match if it's not in stock Sad

I left Woolworths, understandably feeling VERY pi***d off,...had to get the price match thing done before 14 days, which is today (Friday). Just then I had a brainwave, switched Garmin on and asked it to find the closest supermarkets,...the i3 came up with Somerfield (or Kwick Save, I forget) in Kimberley,...2.8 miles away,...gave address and number too,...I rang them up, they had plenty in stock at £99! So I took the i3 back in to Woolies, took it to the manager and showed him how far away EXACTLY Somerfield was, he made the call using the on screen contact info and KERCHING, I get £45 back Smile

So, a word of caution to those wanting to take up Woolies on their price match promise, please make sure you print out a copy of their T&C's to thrust in front of the staff there in case they quote the "3 mile rule". You can find them at:

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/help/index.jhtml?section=8

Hope this is useful - i3 to the rescue!

Best wishes,

Nick
sonnysmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£144 was a good price to begin with (i also bought one at this price) i think theres a lot of people on this forum that have probably paid closer too £200 for there i3 just a few months ago!
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonnysmith wrote:
theres a lot of people on this forum that have probably paid closer too £200 for there i3 just a few months ago!

That's right - but we're not bitter, oh no, not us... Confused
Nickbot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Please don't get me wrong - I was completely happy to buy the unit at £144, it's just the option of having it for £99 was most attractive! I think it's still worth £200 to be honest!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the consumer winning for once. :D Too often these T&C's are so restrictive that they are worthless.

Oh and Welcome Nickbot.
smiffey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to here. I bought mine for 144.99 in Dixons and they happily refund the the difference as Sommerfield were selling them for 99.99. What I thought was a bargain turned out to be even a bigger bargain. I not only saved £45.00 but I made a long jorney for work yesterday and it saved me 60 miles on my normal route using roads that I never even thought of using. What a great machine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: