Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - navman 4400 info
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

navman 4400 info

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: navman 4400 info Reply with quote

Hi to all,

have just got my navman 4400. Have been experiencing the lockups mentioned on this forum when using smart st with my 2210 but NOT when navigating (even around roundabouts). I am sometimes getting lockups when just browsing the maps. Other times its when trying to look through the options but it seems ok when on the move.

There does seem to be a problem when shutting the unit off whilst the bt connection is still active resulting in having to do a soft reset. So just shut off the bt before switching off the unit does the trick.

Also if I leave the comport active in the gps status screen, it tries to connect to a bt devise then locks up every time. Again this results in a soft reset. So again, annoying as it is, switch it off before coming out of smart st.

Couple of questions.

1. Is the smart st locked to comport8? If not how do I change it?

2. What are the baurd rates and what happens if I change these?

I never seemed to have any other problems with any other software (and I do have a lot) so it does seem to be a problem with navman. wonder if they will come out with a patch?

I will report back if I find anymore fixes.

nighty night!

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: navman 4400 info Reply with quote

1. SmartST Pro with the 4400 isn't locked to any com port. You can use any GPS Receiver with it. Bluetooth however is COM8 and you can't change this.

2. Baud rates are the same as on a PC, the higher the number, the faster they communicate. You won't notice much difference on a Pocket PC with GPS as GPS signals don't contain much data, so you don't need to send them faster. Higher baud rates are sometimes used to put the Pocket PC into a wait state, which when used with say the Navman sleeve which can receive interference from the Pocket PC processor due to it's proximity, putting it up at a higher baud rate results in less interference and a quicker fix. You won't notice much difference on the 4400.

Navman are working on a fix for the 2210 lockups.
Bart
Occasional Visitor

Hi again all,

have done some more testing and have had one lock up at a roundabout! I tested the navman at lots of roundabouts without any problems but found the lockup came when it was calculating a new route whilst going round a roundabout. My novice theory is (and bare with me this is going to be a mouthful) when it is calculating a new route when you have gone off track, if you use a roundabout at the same time it is calculating the new route, it is trying to work out a new route for all the exits off the roundabout at the same time, as it doesn't know which exit you are going to take. Therefore is it overloading the program or ipaq? Just a thought.

One annoying problem I would like some help with is every time I start smartst the Bluetooth manager opens up at the same time telling me to select a Bluetooth device. I try to cancel but the ipaq locks up. The only way I can get around this is to switch on Bluetooth on the ipaq and the navman receiver and select them or to remember to switch the com port off in the gps status screen before turning the navman off. If I forget to turn off the com port before turning the ipaq off, the next time I turn on smartst it goes through the same process of asking me to select a Bluetooth device again with no way of cancelling without a lockup. This is a problem if you just want to play with the software without the receiver being switched on. Am I doing something wrong?

One other thing. Do I need to pair the navman to the ipaq? I have tried but the ipaq says the navman is not responding. Again am I doing something wrong?

I would greatly appreciate some help. I will also post my testing results of the navman.

And thanks to Dave for the reply.

Dave
Frequent Visitor

The Bluetooth Manager quark is something that happens on WM2003 and can't be stopped so you do have to re-select the BT GPS each time you start SmartST Pro. This isn't a bug with Navman 4400 or SmartST Pro, it happens on all GPS software that uses the BT Interface. It's all to do with the new integrated BT Stack incorporated within WM2003.

You won't need to pair the Navman, I managed to use it without pairing which was quite handy!

No problem, glad I could help!
Bart
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dave, thanks again for your help.

I must admit I am nearly pulling my hair out! I now seem to have a problem with maps loaded onto the cf card. I loaded my first map for testing into the ipaq memory and apart from the lockup at a roundabout, no problems.

I then put several maps on a cf card I ordered with the ipaq to test and get regular lockups. Seems ok at first but then just freezes. I tried only selecting one map at a time but still had lockups.

I then put in my cf card from my camera as this has a fast controller and is a named brand cf card (thinking it may be the cf card) and after looking around the screen for a bit it locked up.

Do I have to do something really basic as format the cf card? I cant believe there is a problem with both cf cards or is it something simple like a memory setting I have missed? I would really appreciate some help here as I am about to:

A. Send it all back.

or

B. Throw the whole lot out the bl**dy window!

Thanks again Dave you have been most generous with your info.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I've never loaded singular maps, I've always loaded complete maps of the UK to my 512mb SD card. I suspect these lockups you are experiencing is down to the bug which is causing the lockups/freezing when driving round roundabouts. I would send an email to support@navman-mobile.com and ask if they have a patch you can test, and explain nicely that it's locking up 19 to the dozen and if there isn't a patch, then you may have to look at returning the product.

Navman normally are pretty good regarding support, and they might be able to let you test a patch ahead of release.
Bart
Occasional Visitor

Hi again Dave,

is there any benefit of an sd card over a cf card apart from the smaller size? I have got the complete maps of the uk loaded on to the cf card and have tried selecting all regions and single regions but have still found lock up city!

Thanks again Dave. I will contact navman for a last attempt

Bart
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

have just got off the phone to navman tech support and they have told me there is a patch for the 4400 running on ppc 2003 being tested at the moment. They plan to post this on their website on the 1st week of September. This will fix the locking up problems. I was told that the navman 4400 doesn't run with ppc running ppc 2003. Would have been nice to have been told this when buying the product. I've not got much hair left after pulling most of it out at the weekend trying to get this bundle of fun working!

Lets hope this does the trick.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Bart, only benefit over SD is the size, CF cards are actually faster, especially for playing large MP3's.

The patch they speak of is what I'm currently testing and I'll be doing some heavy regression testing this week here on a 2210 and will forward the info back to Navman regarding my results.
Bart
Occasional Visitor

Fantastic dave,

lets hope we all have some hair left!

Keep up the good work, this is a very informative and helpful website.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: