Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Strange blob on TT one screens
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange blob on TT one screens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Droid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Strange blob on TT one screens Reply with quote

We bought two TOMTOM Ones this week - both have a wet looking blob in the middle of the screen (inside the glass). It's not very visible when powered on but is it faulty or are they all like this ?
Put it this way, if it was a PDA, it's be straight back to the shop!

Anyone else?
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid they are both faulty, take them back for replacements.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7
Frazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I shoud have read this first before posting my problem. The one that Santa brought me is exactly the same. Worrying that both of yours are like this. Better check the replacement out before leaving the shop. However from experience of returning other goods with a common fault, wouldn't surprise me that if the next one out of the box is the same they will try and claim that they're all like it. Let's hope that the one they have on display is not. Sad

Frazz
notorious19
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a tomtom one and so do a couple of mates and theres no blob on the screen so yea i would say there faulty,take them back for sure
Frazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swap made - new one has faultless screen :D.

Assistant in Dixon's wasn't prepared to open boxes to look for a good one so luckily the one he gave me was OK - not sure what next step would have been if this one had had a duff screen as well.

Droid - good luck with your swaps.

Frazz
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frazz,

Glad your replacement TT One is OK! Thumbs Up

If this is your first SatNav, then welcome to the wonderful world of SatNav. Smile

Frazz wrote:
Assistant in Dixon's wasn't prepared to open boxes to look for a good one so luckily the one he gave me was OK - not sure what next step would have been if this one had had a duff screen as well.

I’m not an expert in consumer law, but if the assistant won’t open the boxes to check for you, I would suggest that you ask/demand that once you have been given the replacement, the assistant watches you open the sealed box. Should the replacement also be faulty, then the assistant should keep getting you replacements or if there are no more replacements then they should arrange a complete refund.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Frazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad that the replacement worked out OK as I really didn't want a refund. I'd managed to get Dixons to price match the offer that CPW was running a couple of weeks ago(£220) and since most places have now raised their prices again I would probably have been out of pocket if I'd gone for a refund. Thios situation reminded me of a nightmare run in I had at Dixons about 10 years ago when they obviously had a batch of GameGears (remember those?!) with faulty direction pads. They refused to acknowledge they all had a problem (after trying several) and refused me a refund as in their opinion there was nothing wrong with them! Eventually sorted it out but it was a painful and humiliating experience!!

Yes - I'm new to satNav and loving it already :P

Frazz
willp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snap! got my girlfriend one for christmas, and it also had the mark. Took it back to argos today, and they swapped it no probs. New one is fine!
Droid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies folks, I took both of them back to carphone warehouse today. The manager hadn't seen the problem before but there was no problem - like the rest of you I didnt want a refund as I paid £222 and the price has gone up - so I'm waiting for stock from the warehouse. I'll post again when the replacements arrive.
davemiracleman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks

Just upgraded to a ttg700 and this also had a blob inside the screen,looks like a smudge of oil. Crying or Very sad

Took it back and exchanged it for another Laughing
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davemiracleman wrote:
Hi folks

Just upgraded to a ttg700 and this also had a blob inside the screen,looks like a smudge of oil. Crying or Very sad

Took it back and exchanged it for another Laughing

This might sound silly, but i just bought a TTG 700, and it seemed to have this "Blob" on further inspection, it turned out to be the protective screen cover. When i removed it, everything was fine.
davemiracleman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt notice the blob so much until i took the protective screen off.

The mark was inside the unit.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a really weird issue. did you call tomtom?? has anyone else seen this?
ferret79
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Screen blob Reply with quote

I also had this little blob on my 700 but only after i had had it for 3 weeks so i thought it was something that i had done accidently ie thought i mite have pressed on the screen while it was in its case etc, so this is what i did but it may sound a bit drastic.
I got a plastic sucker and gently stuck it to the screen on the Tomtom and then VERY CAREFULLY AND VERY GENTLY pulled on it then removed the sucker and hey presto no blob and it has never returned. Has anyone else tried this.
Frazz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting cure to this problem. I did wonder whether the problem occurred during the packaging process when they actually stick the protective screen on. If it's done by machine maybe it pushes too hard, but then again you'd have thought that they would have had a human visual inspection of screen defects and then stuck it on by hand. Maybe one of the operatives is a bit heavy handed! Anyway glad to see that we're all getting round this problem.

Having great fun with mine now with cameras, voices, new splash sceen etc installed. Was directed on a short cut back from the cinema yesterday on a road that I didn't even know existed which avoided me pulling onto a busy dual-carriageway that I have been doing for the past 3 years :P

Frazz.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: